best way to get flac or is apple ripping fine

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i only have about 200 cds so not a massive job like some of you i have all my cds ripped on itunes and have a chance of picking up a samsung laptop for messing around around the house so my accer one is going sit next to hifi for good it has a 320 gb memory.

so my main question is i want the best possible sound through my dac magic i will be using usb out laptop to dacmagic so is flac better than itunes. and if so what is the best free program to use to get flac and artwortk many thanks simon

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
at the minute there apple lossless with error correction on. but to be honest i cant tell that much differance when i put the laptop next to my hifi and play a spotify premium and itunes cd rip in lossless its almost the same but when i put a cd in it sounds better and the cd is going through the dac as well is that usb that is the weak link or my cd rips

chasefrench

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
There is one method which is miles better than everything else but it Windows only.

You need to get Exact Audio Copy with the FLAC encoder add on. There is nothing better

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
smuggs said:
at the minute there apple lossless with error correction on. but to be honest i cant tell that much differance when i put the laptop next to my hifi and play a spotify premium and itunes cd rip in lossless its almost the same but when i put a cd in it sounds better and the cd is going through the dac as well is that usb that is the weak link or my cd rips

Download J River media jukebox for free and in the audio settings use the WASAPI or ASIO output. This will give you a bitperfect playback. If you want to try FLAC against Apple Lossless, download dBpoweramp for free and you can convert whilst keeping your original files as well if you want.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
As previously mentioned try using EAC to rip your CD's, take a bit of time setting the software up with your drive etc to get the best results. You can use the software straight away but best results are obtained after tweaking the various settings. There is plenty of information online on how to get the best out of the software.

After ripping you can use Mediamonkey (free & paid for) to sort, tag and play you music, it is a good bit of software with lots of functions. It takes a bit of getting used to but is as good as if not better than iTunes.

A previous poster has advised to use DBpoweramp to convert your existing Apple rips to FLAC, I would advise against doing this as the important part of creating the FLAC files is the ripping process. If you convert your existing files which may not be particularly good rips you are converting bad apple lossless rips to bad FLAC rips.......pointless.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chasefrench said:
There is one method which is miles better than everything else but it Windows only. You need to get Exact Audio Copy with the FLAC encoder add on. There is nothing better

This may have been the case when PCs were old and not up to the job of handling the flow of data but now most ripping software will perform the job perfectly. There was an interesting link to an article posted here a while back where some chap ripped the same CD on ten different systems using different CD drives and different software, with and without error-correction and then check-summed the results with each other. Every rip was identical. As it's impossible for every system to have made the same error in ripping that can only mean that every rip was accurate.

In most cases using dbPoweramp with Accuraterip is good enough, if the results match the other rips in the database then it's fine, the Secure ripping is only required if the CD is damaged in some way, otherwise it's just taking far longer than it needs to.

If the OP thinks his rips are no good then either he doesn't have iTunes set up properly or there's another issue with his kit. EDIT: I think Gerrardasnails is spot on, it's not the rips, it's the laptop's playback that's the issue.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
This may have been the case when PCs were old and not up to the job of handling the flow of data but now most ripping software will perform the job perfectly.
It has nothing to do with the age of PC's or handling the flow of data this is mis-information.
The_Lhc said:
There was an interesting link to an article posted here a while back where some chap ripped the same CD on ten different systems using different CD drives and different software, with and without error-correction and then check-summed the results with each other. Every rip was identical. As it's impossible for every system to have made the same error in ripping that can only mean that every rip was accurate.
Ripping the same cd proves nothing.

The_Lhc said:
In most cases using dbPoweramp with Accuraterip is good enough, if the results match the other rips in the database then it's fine, the Secure ripping is only required if the CD is damaged in some way, otherwise it's just taking far longer than it needs to.
DBpoweramp is not free software as the OP has requested and EAC utilises Accuraterip also.

The_Lhc said:
If the OP thinks his rips are no good then either he doesn't have iTunes set up properly
I think it is quite well know that iTunes is not the best ripping software
The_Lhc said:
or there's another issue with his kit. EDIT: I think Gerrardasnails is spot on, it's not the rips, it's the laptop's playback that's the issue.
Quite possibly.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
eggontoast said:
The_Lhc said:
This may have been the case when PCs were old and not up to the job of handling the flow of data but now most ripping software will perform the job perfectly.
It has nothing to do with the age of PC's or handling the flow of data this is mis-information.

You might need to qualify that statement a little.

The_Lhc said:
There was an interesting link to an article posted here a while back where some chap ripped the same CD on ten different systems using different CD drives and different software, with and without error-correction and then check-summed the results with each other. Every rip was identical. As it's impossible for every system to have made the same error in ripping that can only mean that every rip was accurate.
Ripping the same cd proves nothing.

And you'll definitely need to qualify that one! How can ripping the same CD not prove anything? If you give the same CD to x number of different systems to rip you want to know that they all produce the same result, a completely accurate rip of that CD. Now, assuming the CD has no damage then it is IMPOSSIBLE for every system to produce the same random fault, the same way that it's impossible for all the matches found in the Accuraterip database to have the same random fault with their rips. If your rip matches a dozen, 50, 250, 3000 other entries in the database the only conclusion is that each rip is bit-perfect.

The_Lhc said:
DBpoweramp is not free software as the OP has requested and EAC utilises Accuraterip also.

Ok fine, use EAC because it's free, doesn't alter the fact that in most cases you don't need to turn on all the additional checking and secure ripping, it isn't adding anything other than the time required to complete the rip. Accuraterip is good enough in the vast majority of cases, that was the point I was making.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
And you'll definitely need to qualify that one! How can ripping the same CD not prove anything? If you give the same CD to x number of different systems to rip you want to know that they all produce the same result, a completely accurate rip of that CD. Now, assuming the CD has no damage then it is IMPOSSIBLE for every system to produce the same random fault, the same way that it's impossible for all the matches found in the Accuraterip database to have the same random fault with their rips. If your rip matches a dozen, 50, 250, 3000 other entries in the database the only conclusion is that each rip is bit-perfect.
Thank you for explaining Accuraterip! but you have answered your own question "assuming the CD has no damage" have you actually ripped a cd collection ?

The_Lhc said:
Ok fine, use EAC because it's free, doesn't alter the fact that in most cases you don't need to turn on all the additional checking and secure ripping, it isn't adding anything other than the time required to complete the rip.
You havn't used EAC for sometime have you.

The_Lhc said:
Accuraterip is good enough in the vast majority of cases, that was the point I was making.
Agreed but in the cases where it is not good enough you will need EAC.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
eggontoast said:
The_Lhc said:
Thank you for explaining Accuraterip! but you have answered your own question "assuming the CD has no damage" have you actually ripped a cd collection ?

Yes I have thanks, so you can drop the sarcasm.

The_Lhc said:
Ok fine, use EAC because it's free, doesn't alter the fact that in most cases you don't need to turn on all the additional checking and secure ripping, it isn't adding anything other than the time required to complete the rip.
You havn't used EAC for sometime have you.

I'm quite happy to admit I've never used it at all, dbPoweramp does the job perfectly.

The_Lhc said:
Accuraterip is good enough in the vast majority of cases, that was the point I was making.
Agreed but in the cases where it is not good enough you will need EAC.[/quote]

No you won't. You'll need any ripping software capable of performing a secure rip.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
What error percentage did you get ?

The_Lhc said:
I'm quite happy to admit I've never used it at all, dbPoweramp does the job perfectly.
smiley-frown.gif
That says it all really, how can you comment on something you know nothing about.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
eggontoast said:
The_Lhc said:
What error percentage did you get ?

As in number of CDs with problems or problems per CD? Either way I've no idea, I rip the CD, if Accuraterip matches I move to the next one, if it doesn't I do a Secure rip.

The_Lhc said:
smiley-frown.gif
That says it all really, how can you comment on something you know nothing about.

Why do I need to know anything about EAC to show that other ripping software can do the job just as well? If AccurateRip produces a match that's all you need to know but before you ask I've done every hardware test available in dpPoweramp to ensure I have the best settings for my hardware.

I'll say it again, for an undamaged CD (and I'm giving the OP the benefit of the doubt by assuming he's been taking care of his CDs and not using them as frisbees or something), if an Accuraterip match is produced, EAC will not give you any better a rip than any other ripping software that's been correctly configured (I'm not including iTunes in that, I've never used that either and never will).

If you want to believe otherwise that's up to you, it's not costing you anything after all but you aren't getting anything more than anybody else is.

iemslie

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
If it's any use, I ripped a collection of approx 500 discs in around a month using DB Poweramp free trial.

Had a few dodgy rips along the way, which in most cases were fixed.

I've used several ripping utilities over the years EAC included. EAC can be as simple or complicated as you like. Plenty of options to tinker with if that's your thing, however I settled on using DB as I found it more user-friendly overall.

I'd suggest downloading both and seeing for yourself which you prefer. Won't cost you a penny and either way you'll get fantastic results. I'd suggest ripping to FLAC too as this is more versitile than any propriatary Apple formats. If you then want to convert to ALAC (for an IPOD, ITunes or whatever) then you can do this later.

Cheers.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Why do I need to know anything about EAC to show that other ripping software can do the job just as well?
You don't but it helps to make an informed decision when advising

The_Lhc said:
I'll say it again, for an undamaged CD (and I'm giving the OP the benefit of the doubt by assuming he's been taking care of his CDs and not using them as frisbees or something),
If you have ripped your library you should know all to well that discs do not need to be abused to throw up errors. The slightest blemish seen or unseen can cause problems and then there's disc rot but that's not for now.

The_Lhc said:
if an Accuraterip match is produced, EAC will not give you any better a rip than any other ripping software that's been correctly configured
Agreed

The_Lhc said:
(I'm not including iTunes in that, I've never used that either and never will).
So you have not tried many then.

The_Lhc said:
If you want to believe otherwise that's up to you, it's not costing you anything after all but you aren't getting anything more than anybody else is.
??????????I was simply offering advice to the OP based on his criterea and for software for which I have had experience.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
eggontoast said:
The_Lhc said:
??????????I was simply offering advice to the OP based on his criterea and for software for which I have had experience.

You appeared to be implying the only EAC could give a bit-perfect rip, I was simply pointing out that that wasn't the case. If that wasn't your intention then you have my apology.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
if your itunes rips were done with error correction on, then all you need to do is batch convert them all to flac - there is no need to re-rip. as has already been said itunes is perfectly capable of producing bit perfect rips, and even if it did miss an error that something else didn't, the error would be more or less unnoticeable as it's likely to last a fraction of a second. i've used several different rippers on both pc and mac and don't hear any differences between them. the, imo, likely reason for the dacmagic sounding better when the cdp is used as a transport, is because the usb input on the dacmagic isn't as good as the optical input, which i assume is how the cdp is connected to it.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
thanks for all the banter/advise guys

im starting to think that the usb is the wink link so im going to download that free software j.,river media jukebox and follow gerrards tips and if my test track paul weller- wild wood still sounds flatter than the cd through the same dac im guessing i need to find out if my headphone socket on the laptop doubles up as a mini tosh optical out my laptop is a accer aspire 7540 if anybody knows anything.

thanks again

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i ahve just ripped a cd on j river and it says cda rip next to it, is that lossless or have i got the ripping options all wrong

prat it says now the ripping is over wma, that cant be lossless

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
smuggs said:
i need to find out if my headphone socket on the laptop doubles up as a mini tosh optical out my laptop is a accer aspire 7540 if anybody knows anything.

not necessarily. if you don't have a s/pdif out on your laptop you can get youself a usb to s/pdif converter. something like Musical Fidelity V-Link or Firestone Bravo for instance. as a bonus you'll be able to play hi rez files in their native format up to 24bit/ 96Khz. USB input on Dac Magic only accepts 16bit/ 44.1Khz data and everything higher rez is downsampled to that format.

or even you could look around for a new DAC which supports truly asynchronous USB input. that option is more expensive but you'll keep box count lower becouse you'll get the same results as with Dac MAgic + USB to s/pdif converter.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
smuggs said:
i ahve just ripped a cd on j river and it says cda rip next to it, is that lossless or have i got the ripping options all wrong

prat it says now the ripping is over wma, that cant be lossless

You have the settings wrong - I don't use J River to rip though. You'd be better off using EAC or Foobar or dBpoweramp to rip.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
smuggs said:
i have output mode optons

direct sound, disk writer,wave out what do they mean

If no one helps before I'll check my settings tonight. One more thing, have you tried XBMC? I use this now, it's free as well and the library is brilliant. It also has Wasapi option.

I've just checked and for the jukebox of J River (I've used the media center), you need to install the ASIO4ALL driver.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts