Best turntable hi-fi system for £3000

PeterSM said:
Advice needed please!

I am very tempted by http://www.whathifi.com/news/best-turntable-hi-fi-system-ps3000 for my return to vinyl after a 10 year gap.

My question is given the current price of the Tannoy Precision 6.2 are these a better alternative than the XT6F? Will the Rega Elex-R be able to drive the 6.2s as I understand that these are demanding speakers.

Thanks in advance for your comments!?

The elax-r will happily drive either speaker. There is a thread on them here, although it is short. I would suggest the 6.2's are sisignificantly better :

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/tannoy-revolutions-xt6f-vs-precision-62

Depending on your room size you might want to consider the XT8-F

PeterSM

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
My room is not large, 4.5m by 3.2m with the speakers along the long wall. The 6.2s are in Richer Sounds at £999 and the XT8-Fs are £1200 so on both counts i am still inclined to the 6.2s unless there is a very good argument for the XT8-Fs.

PeterSM said:
My room is not large, 4.5m by 3.2m with the speakers along the long wall. The 6.2s are in Richer Sounds at £999 and the XT8-Fs are £1200 so on both counts i am still inclined to the 6.2s unless there is a very good argument for the XT8-Fs.

They are better than the 6-F but in your case they'll be too big for the room. Agree 6.2's probably better for you but be sure to audition first.

PeterSM

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the comments, I will listen to the 6.2s. Any thoughts on the rest of the system? I assume as it is recomended by What Hi-Fi it is well balanced. I am only interested in listening to vinyl. My original system (now long gone unfortunatly!) was a Thorns Deck with SME III arm AKG cartridge Audiolab 8000 amp and Mission floor standing speakers. Is this a similar quality system?

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
"I assume as it is recomended by What Hi-Fi it is well balanced."

And it's exactly the problem. The Whathifi reviews are generally very poor, sometimes flawed, and sometimes even with contradictions. They are pi__ed off when I comment their reviews, but sometimes, they really make amateur level reviews. If you are believing blindly what is written there, you will be probably heavy disappointed or simply, misguided. Especially the rega turntables are not absent from flaws (check on google for more info). For used turntables of this price range, I always recommend to go for used ones because of the higher standards in the late 70's early 80's, that where possible back then for a much more realistic price tag. The micro seiki BL's are generally great and could simply not be compared to actual rega. Some used Project X-tension are although good and sometimes, to find around the 1k price. I'm using a used Sota Sapphire from 3rd generation, it's a great TT and costed less than 500 pounds. Although, If it's absolutely must be new, check the Accoustic Solid 111 player, Nottingham Interspace or some Clearaudio concept 1000. I don't say the Rega RP6 is bad, but it's definitely not a great player. At the other way, I have only good things to report for the rega amps, that seemed all to be seriously built and sound good.

AntAxon said:
The Marantz PM 8005, Project 2Xperience SB DC and the Tannoy Precision 6.2's. You won't be disappointed.

I would tend to agree that this system should be good and the Project turntable mentioned would be my choice over the Rega but they are pretty much on a par.

NOTE: If the OP is thinking of buying the Rega then I would suggest he buys it without the cartridge and uses the saving of £200 to buy a different make and have the dealer fit that. I would suggest Nagaoka MP150 or Audio Technica AT-440 Mlb or even their F7.

The amplifiers should be auditioned also as they are quite different.

This system appears now to be nothing like the recommended one :)

However, that not always a bad thing. Auditioning is the key.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you NSA. Your post contains a lot of sense and wisdom.

I wouldn't buy any of that What Hi-fi £3000 system. I personally would be looking for better sound quality for the rather considerable price paid.

I have a lower opinion of Rega amps than NSA, probably because I've heard different models / examples in different contexts to him.

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
The Marantz amp is really good value for money as you can buy it for just under £600, it was £1000. In my opinion it would be worth £1000, its build and SQ quality is superb. The Tannoy Precision 6.2's were nearly £2000, not sure if I would have paid that but for £1000 are a great buy. And if you buy the Project or Rega from HiFiX you get £100 of free vinyl.

That gives money left over to buy speaker cable, record cleaning brush, and Atabites or kiln dried sand to load the speakers.

lindsayt said:
I agree with you NSA. Your post contains a lot of sense and wisdom.

I wouldn't buy any of that What Hi-fi £3000 system. I personally would be looking for better sound quality for the rather considerable price paid.

I have a lower opinion of Rega amps than NSA, probably because I've heard different models / examples in different contexts to him.

I might agree also but it very much hinges on the OPs experience, and we know little about that, as buying second-hand can be a nightmare.

If he wants a new system with warranty then who are we to dissuade him, it's probably for the better.

As to the reviews being flawed I would suggest they are as flawed as any other publications reviews. It's one person's perceptions of a piece of equipment that is usually in their possession short-term so the long term reliability is something they cannot comment on.

Personally I think that recommendations for turntables that you're unlikely to readily find outside of the USA rather pointless.

If, however, the OP wants to stick to a British designed system, I would suggest another amplifier and that is the Creek Evolution 50A.

PeterSM

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the posts Guys.

So I am going to audition the Marants PM 8005, with the Project 2Xperience SB DC and the Tannoy Precision 6.2's. Is it worth considering a more expensive amp if so do you have any suggestions?

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
PeterSM said:

So I am going to audition the Marants PM 8005, with the Project 2Xperience SB DC and the Tannoy Precision 6.2's. Is it worth considering a more expensive amp if so do you have any suggestions?

The Marantz peforms above its price bracket but the Abrahansen V2.0 UP seems to be getting rave reviews on here. Not sure where you could audition one though.

This is probably a question for someone with more experience than me. Al Ears is pretty knowledgeable on these things.

AntAxon said:
PeterSM said:

The Marantz peforms above its price bracket but the Abrahansen V2.0 UP seems to be getting rave reviews on here. Not sure where you could audition one though.

This is probably a question for someone with more experience than me. Al Ears is pretty knowledgeable on these things.

Whilst it does appear to be very good it, AFAIAA, has no inbuilt preamp (excuse me if I am wrong boggit) so could not be used on it's own in a turntable based system.

K

keeper of the quays

On the whole I think what hi fi reviews to be pretty even handed..i have had speakers they reviewed and found review pretty spot on....

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
keeper of the quays said:
On the whole I think what hi fi reviews to be pretty even handed..i have had speakers they reviewed and found review pretty spot on....

At hifi choice as they do good comparrisons to competitor products at same price point.

Andrewjvt said:
keeper of the quays said:

At hifi choice as they do good comparrisons to competitor products at same price point.

Yes, the group tests are very well worth reading, as are other hifi publications. I would always read as many reviews as possible when drawing up a shortlist to audition.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I haven't read the thread, only the initial post, so apologies if I'm repeating anything.

When I read the title, The first thing that popped into my head was a Rega system, comprising of the RP6, Elex-R, and their RX1 speakers, so not far off the WHF recommendation. The RP6 is an excellent deck, the Elex-R a great performer (which I preferred in a demo recently to two other well regarded amplifiers), and the new Rega speakers are much more capable than their predecessors.

From that system, I'd say audition several speakers to see what you prefer. The electronics from different manufacturers will give you a different sound, but most people seem unanimous that speakers will show the largest differences (immediately perceivable differences, to be precise). You can then choose any number of speaker out there that will work well with the Elex-R that suit your listening preference.

PeterSM said:

As already stated the Creek Evolution 50A.

It's cheaper then the Rega Elex-R of the original line up.

CORRECTION: It isn't because you would need to add on the phono preamp module which pushes it over £9001, but worth it all the same.

TRENDING THREADS