Best sub £300 speakers?

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
ok - for a bedroom setup.

Paired with an Audio Analogue Crescendo integrated amp
Listen all types of music.

Not too concerned if standmount or floorstander, but, at this price point I realise that I'm looking at standmounts.

So - is the Arcaydis DM1 the best speaker at £300 or below?

all advice welocome :)

A

Anonymous

From what I recall that's a pretty good amp; heard it a while back but with B&W high'ish end speakers and it sounded great. Fairly warm with lots of detail.

Shame your budget is on £300 but yeah the Arcaydis DM1's are very good indeed; deffo take a look at the Monitor Audio BX2's and if possible, ex-demo or 2nd hand Monitor Audio RX1's.

B&W 685's shouldnt be discounted either but depends on what kid of sound you want and how loud you'll be listening. The B&W's REALLY come to life when pushed
smiley-wink.gif

The Dali Lektor 1's and 2's should be demo'd as well if possible

A

Anonymous

+1 for the DL 2's
smiley-cool.gif
Very glad I was pointed at these by the members here
smiley-smile.gif

Cass

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
I too am in the market for speakers at this price point, having grown tired of the harsh upper/mid-range produced by my MS 902i's, particularly at higher volume levels. I am looking particularly at the DM1 and the Dali Lektor 2. Does anyone have any thoughts on which of these would pair best with my NAD C326BEE, given the NAD's well-documented tendency towards bass? I listen primarily to rock and guitar based-music – listening room is around 4m x 7m.

A

Anonymous

Good call on the M/A RS1's; brilliant speakers when partnered with the righ amp and source (a bit of an obvious statement I know...)

Thing is though with that budget you could get some good floorstanders such as the Acoustic Energy AE Neo 3's or even 2nd hand Monitor Audio BR5's...

A

Anonymous

I would say at the price point the DM1's are up there with the very best and I put them ahead of the MA BX2

A

Anonymous

you only have to pick them up to know they are a quality item.

A

Anonymous

focal 705's ive got some in a bedroom set up with a rotel ra04se amp and theyre perfect, really good detail and soundstage. had them in an audition against the monitor audio bronze bx2's and they blew them away.

T

the record spot

New, maybe, but secondhand opens you up to some great speakers and many to be found in great condition. Mission 751, 752, KEF Q35.2 and others from the mid-90s can all be hand for around £100-150 - all of which will give a good account of themselves. See also ex-dem or used via a dealer who'll likely throw in a short warranty as well (3-6 months). Worth considering if you don't mind "not new"!

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

So the MA RXs and the Dali Lector 2's get rave reviews.

How would the Quad 12L2 compare to these plus the original one I suggested, the Aracydis DM1?

I have Quad'salready and love the sound, and they're at the same proce point (ish) are they a step up, or, much of a muchness?

BTW - emailed Arcaydis 3 days ago about the price on their website compared to that on here, and still no reply. Hope their speakers are better than their customer service :s

Quad 12L2's are great speakers but rear ported so best not used too close to a rear wall. Depends on your room really, not sure about the Arcaydis. I'd try to audition Quads and Lektors.

Forget trying to email Arcaydis, its the same as EB Acoustics and you are better off just telephoning!

Cass

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Following on from my earlier post, I see Exceptional AV have the Lektor 2s for £190. Assuming I could get £50 for my MS902s, that's looking like a tasty upgrade for a net spend of around £140. One concern though: the Lektor 2's have 85dB sensitivity compared to the 89dB of my 902s - would this present any problems driving them with the 50W-rated NAD 326BEE?

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
I think it would work just fine. Just bought a system for my parents that consists of Arcam Alpha 6 amp, Arcam Alpha 7 cd-player and they are connected to my old speakers, Dali Lektor 1, and it drives them perfectly fine, even though the amp I think is only 40-45 watt 8ohm.

Also, Nad is known for being very conservative with their watt-rating and they usually punch well above their rated power output
smiley-smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts