Best style system with digital input?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've decided to settle for a new mini system such as the Onkyo CS525 but want to be able to input my ps3 sound through it, so I think I need a digital optical input?

I've had a look and dont think the Onkyo I want has that, whats a good similar sort of system I could get instead? Anything shortly to be released would be ok too.

I need something black (to please the wife) and I was quite looking forward to the usb connection, although I could play mp3s through the ps3 I suppose. It upscales those too I hear, but I dont know if its as good as the DVD upscaling.

Cost wise, £200-400 would be about right.

As an alternative, I could get the new Sony GDR820 AV receiver, and get a standalone CD player, but that pushes the budget to £300 for the receiver, leaving £100 odd for a CD player - you think that would sound as good???

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
NewbieGazza:
I've decided to settle for a new mini system such as the Onkyo CS525 but want to be able to input my ps3 sound through it, so I think I need a digital optical input?

I've had a look and dont think the Onkyo I want has that, whats a good similar sort of system I could get instead? Anything shortly to be released would be ok too.

I need something black (to please the wife) and I was quite looking forward to the usb connection, although I could play mp3s through the ps3 I suppose. It upscales those too I hear, but I dont know if its as good as the DVD upscaling.

Cost wise, £200-400 would be about right.

As an alternative, I could get the new Sony GDR820 AV receiver, and get a standalone CD player, but that pushes the budget to £300 for the receiver, leaving £100 odd for a CD player - you think that would sound as good???

You can just use the cable you got with the PS3 (The multiple component cable, and use the stereo left and right leads.
A mini system wouldn't provide any better sound digitally anyway, and the sound is surprisingly good just using the standard lead.

If you go the receiver route, and have only £100 left... The Beresford DAC(for just over £100) will transform your PS3's CD playback performance by quite a margin. Although through a budget AV amp, the improvement may be lost.

It would be useful to know...1 What have you got?
2. What are your priorities?
3. WHat is your budget? *edit. ok 2 to 4 hundred.

A

Anonymous

Can I use the component cable with the hdmi cable, cos I want to keep the picture on the HD tv?

Whats the reason why a mini system not sounding better? - sorry, newbie. On that newbie theme, what the hell is a DAC?

My priorities are probably where the problem lies, I want to get a better sound from the PS3 both for games and bluray, but need a new stereo. Dont think the wife will go for the clutter of a new stereo system and a seperate AV solution.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
NewbieGazza:Can I use the component cable with the hdmi cable, cos I want to keep the picture on the HD tv?
Yes, you can use the composite cable that came with the PS3, hook the red and white leads to the stereo and just leave the yellow one unplugged. Leave your HDMI cable as is and go to Sound Settings, Audio Output Settings and choose the AV Multi Out option.
A DAC is a Digital to Analogue Converter - when you're connecting up via the stereo leads, the PS3's built in DAC will do this so the stereo understands the input. If you have an amp with a digital optical in, the DAC built into the amp will do this. The reason why it's not really worth it is, a cheap amp is unlikely to have a better DAC built in than the one built into the PS3. The other option is to go for an external one like the Beresford as fr0g mentions and this will improve the sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts