Best stereo system for 1000€

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a good stereo system for 1000€ it should preferably be bookshelf speakers. I will be using them to stream music from my iPhone and computer, and the rest of the time it will be hooked up to my tv. I mainly listen to music like Coldplay and John Mayer so that should be the main goal for them, but sometimes i also crank up for some Green Day and Red Hot Chili Peppers.
I hope someone out there has some good suggestions for an amp and 2 speakers, becuase in the hi fi world i feel like quite the novice. If more details is needed for an recommendation please tell me.

Thanks for the help it is very appreciated :)

Fulci

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
You will need a good DAC to connect all the digital sources to the amp. You can get a used Beresford Caiman DAC or the new Bushmaster for around €250 or the Cambridge equivalent. Use an Apple Airport Express or AppleTV to stream wirelessly to the DAC. Find a good used amplifier for €200-300 and splurge the rest in a pair of good speakers. If you look around for them used, you can find ProAc Studio 110 for under €500 or lukily some Neat or PMC for around that.

Alternatively, get the usual NAD C316BEE or Cambridge and a pair of speakers for under €500 new, but remember that if you get standmounted speaker you will need the stands, so save another €150 for those. And don't forget the cables, though you can make the Rega Couple clones for under €15 or use Mark Grant's interconnects and use Cable Talk 3 for speaker cables and it won't cost you a kidney.

Look on the What HiFi reviews site for speakers under £500. You can get Monitor Audio RX1, Quad 12L, Dali, Tannoy, EB acoustics, etc.

But above all the recomendations anyone can give and whatever you read, always listen first and compare. You have to find the perfect sound for you and remember that HiFi is all about component synergy. Look around your home for dealers and listen to everything you can find at that price.

But if I were you, I'd get things used and built patiently a system to make you proud.

Andrej_1

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Nice generall recommendation from Fulci,

but since we are in 2012 and some interesting stereo amps with built in DACs appeared out there, I would suggest you to look in that direction (Pioneer, Onkyo and some more are in you price limit).

Put everything else in good speakers.

Now, the hard part is: what to choose? No other way than to listen ;-)

A

Anonymous

First i would like to thank the both of you for your very helpful replies, and if you don't mind I will now bombard you some more with my novice questions :)

Can you recommend some amplifiers with an integrated dac and in what pricerange should i look under my budget. I found some Proac studio 115 for 500€ but my concern is they are standmounted and I will not mount them on stands. Does it affect overall sound and should i pull the trigger on those in your opinions?

Fulci

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I didn't recommend previously the amp with internal DAC because I'm not too familiar with it. It's the new tendency in hifi today so next year most amps will come with internal DACs , probably in budget class. The ones I know are all out of your budget, like the Leema Pulse III. I think the new Pioneer come with an internal DAC but you should listen to all the equipment before buying, unless you read a lot about all the options and like to risk. Buying used, you can sell it for the same price.

The speaker will need stands. They have to be around ear level and in very sturdy stands for maximum stability. Sound will degrade if not properly placed.

I have seen a few very good floorstanders for €500. Rega RS3, Leema Xone, Neat Motive 2 if you're lucky, and some Kef Q, MA, B&W if you like their sound.

If you find a good amp with DAC for another €500 you're all set. If buying new always listen first. Pioneer has a new ones and Rotel too. I have not heard either.

Also, DAC technology are evolving a lot in the last years, so I personally prefer two different boxes, but that's me. I can always replace for a better one in a couple of years, or change my amplifier for one in a different league, Naim league.

matthewpiano

If you explore integrated amps with built-in DACs, then don't overlook Onkyo's TX8050. I had one for a while and it is an excellent piece of kit. Everything works very well and the sound is superb, though in the end I had a personal preference for the NAD.

A

Anonymous

Okay is and integrated amplifier an amplifier with a dac built in, and do you have any other suggestions for amps that suit the ProArc studio 115? also I will put the speakers in about 1m height on a TV table. And one thing I initially forgot to tell is that I am in a small room 3x5 metre ca.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi Lommi,

I would either get the Cambridge Audio 651a £399 or the Cambridge Audio £351A for £300 . They both have a USB input in the back for computers, just plug and play. Sounds Great. They both have an mp3 input in the front for your iphone. The headphone socket on the new iphone is great and will sound good.

That leaves you Apprrox £500 for a pair of Dynaudio 2/6 which would be spanking.

Good luck!

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
just remember to stick a blob of blu tac under each corn of the speakers on that tv table.

Also The Leema Acousitcs Xero speaker is rather good at £ 495 from. Analogue Seduction. A member called The Record Spot also rates some small Tannoys but I can't remember the model number.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Hang fire, save up some more cash and then buy a pair of AVI ADM9RS actives. £1250 delivered in EU,, nothing is likely to compete for the money. It has dac, pre & power amps in the cabinet, remote control and all necessary leads. Job done and it will keep you happy for ages, I have no doubt.

:cheers:

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
relocated said:
Hang fire, save up some more cash and then buy a pair of AVI ADM9RS actives. £1250 delivered in EU,, nothing is likely to compete for the money. It has dac, pre & power amps in the cabinet, remote control and all necessary leads. Job done and it will keep you happy for ages, I have no doubt.

just wondering, do they have a usb input.

A

Anonymous

Is the Dynaudio 2/6 and Leema Acousitcs Xero better than the ProArc studio 115 at the same price?

A

Anonymous

moon said:
just remember to stick a blob of blu tac under each corn of the speakers on that tv table.

Also The Leema Acousitcs Xero speaker is rather good at £ 495 from. Analogue Seduction. A member called The Record Spot also rates some small Tannoys but I can't remember the model number.

what is a blu tac ?

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Lommi said:
Is the Dynaudio 2/6 and Leema Acousitcs Xero better than the ProArc studio 115 at the same price?

tis a difficult question to answer as its personal and subjective, I dont think you would go far wrong with either. I dont have any experience of the ProArc so can't comment. If possible you need to audition at home.

If you occasionaly like to rock out then I know the Dynaudio will deliver!

A

Anonymous

moon said:
Lommi said:

tis a difficult question to answer as its personal and subjective, I dont think you would go far wrong with either. I dont have any experience of the ProArc so can't comment. If possible you need to audition at home.

Should i opt for the Dyn X12 instead for a about 15% more ?

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Lommi said:
moon said:

what is a blu tac ?

sticky blu stuff that you use to stick posters to walls. Available from all good stationers.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&redir_esc=&q=blu+tack+buy&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=2733614950874145629&sa=X&ei=7R1aUNbFJKLO0QWtw4HoDQ&ved=0CEAQ8wIwAg

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Lommi said:
moon said:
Lommi said:

Should i opt for the Dyn X12 instead for a about 15% more ?

never heard the x12 so can't comment. I'm pretty sure theyvwon't give you 15% better perfromance.

A

Anonymous

Okay, i think i will opt for the 115's or the 2/6's and i know that price isn't a suggestion of quality but the 115's cost almost twice as much as the 2/6's from new and i'm getting them used and since i can't find any used dyn's it'll probably be those. Which one of the cambridge amps you suggested before would you opt for with either the 2/6's and 115's.

Also i would just like to thank for you patience and help it is extremely helpful.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Lommi said:
Okay, i think i will opt for the 115's or the 2/6's and i know that price isn't a suggestion of quality but the 115's cost almost twice as much as the 2/6's from new and i'm getting them used and since i can't find any used dyn's it'll probably be those. Which one of the cambridge amps you suggested before would you opt for with either the 2/6's and 115's.

Also i would just like to thank for you patience and help it is extremely helpful.

Both the 351a and the 651 a have very similar components. the 651a has more power and if you can afford it would be a good choice and should last many years.

I see the 115's are front ported, I think this might work in your favour it a room of your dimensions.

if you need speaker cable then look on ebay for some generic 322 strand speaker cable , which will be more than suitable. lastly get some banana plugs in black and red to terminate each speaker cable end.

Then plug in and rock out......... :rockout:

A

Anonymous

I have the chance to get a Creek evo 2 for 500€ I have heard alot about it, and would you recommend it over the 361A?

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Lommi said:
I have the chance to get a Creek evo 2 for 500€ I have heard alot about it, and would you recommend it over the 361A?

The creek has no USB input ,so you would need a seperate DAC , I really think the 651a will be fine

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
moon said:
relocated said:

just wondering, do they have a usb input.

No, afraid not, although an earlier model of the 9 did.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts