Best speakers for Arcam Solo - £1k budget

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Due to space and budget restraints, I've decided to got for the Arcam Solo with decent speakers. I tried some entry level spearates yesterday with entry speakers and the I think the Solo had the edge when paired with some PMC DB1's. My local dealer doesn't have much selection in speakers, so would appreciate some advice on compiling a shortlist.

Budget is £1k, listen to mainly classical, with some jazz. Bits of Radiohead, Floyd, Green Day etc

Room is about 5 x 4m, solid wood floors

Thanks

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi Willt

Glad to see you found something you like.

The PMC's are good speakers. There are a number of attractive super minis, some more expensive, some less. AVI Neutron and Ruark Sabre's III just to mention two. Don't discount B&W CM1 either, it seems to match the Solo ok on the few occasions I've heard the combination. You could also consider a small footprint floorstander such as Rega R3. It does'nt take up more floor space than a stand.

Regards

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
All good suggestions, though i'd be a tad wary of the Ruarks with a wooden floor - the Sabre speakers can err on the fierce side if provoked, which a reflective room could do.

Arcam often pairs its kit with B&W a shows etc, so i'd definitely try and hear that combo. The new Dynaudio Excite range is also worth checking out. Don't forget some decent speaker stands,too!

A

Anonymous

For that amp I would start with PMC DB1i (as you have) and also try Proac Studio 110 or Tablette Reference 8 Signatures. Small boxes like these really, really benefit from a small but fast sub as it helps the extension and bulks up the mids a little. Forgive me if I teaching you to suck eggs but for speakers of this level budget for decent cable, Chord Odyssey 2 being excellent. Forget biwiring and spend the cash on better single runs.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I have the ProAcs which are good speakers but the Dalis are much much easier to drive, and have a much much bigger sound. They synergise extremely well with Arcam kit. I also have solid wooden floors (not laminate) and use them in a room that's smaller than yours and they sound excellent even though they are positioned less than ideally in the corners.

Given the choice of the two I would go for the Dalis every time.

ÿ

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts