Best speaker for marantz amp and projetc turntable

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
Hiall, I'm putting together a budget system with Marantz 5005 amp and CD units, along with Project Essential 2 turntable. I'm struggling with speaker choice. very tempted by the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s but some reviews of bad build and 'light' sounds is outting me off. The Q 2020i's are also very tempting but s little over my price range. Does anyone else have a similar setup, which speskers did you choose?

Music to be played will be a fairly wide range such as Led Zep, The Who, Depeche Mode, Kate Bush. Speaker will be in room 15 ft by 10 ft along the wider wall.

Thanks

Becky_Roberts

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi Simon

It is a shame you can't stretch to the 2020is as they do get you a lot more sound-wise for just £30/40 more. But we understand, of course, if you're stuck to a tight budget!

In that case, we'd consider two speakers over the Wharfedales: the Q Acoustic 2010i (the smaller versions of the 2020i - http://www.whathifi.com/q-acoustics/2010i/review) for better build. They are a more refined and energetic listen, too. Scour online and you should be able to find them for around £110/120.

And the £100 Roth Oli RA1s (http://www.whathifi.com/roth/oli-ra1/review), especially as you like rock music as they have good weight and drive. They are rhythmic, musical (and tiny!) speakers. Very enjoyable indeed, for the price.

Hope this helps.

Becky
Staff Writer, What Hi-Fi? sound and vision

Welcome to the forum Simon.

Whilst I would say I don't think you can match speakers to ams as such , they need to suit your room more importantly.

I think you shouldn't worry too much about what you might have read about the Diamond 9.1's, they are a brilliant speaker for the money. Close to a wall and on decent stands I wouldn't call them 'light'. Certainly no lighter than any other speaker you are going to find in their price bracket.

On that point you don't say how much can get them for and what your maximum budget is. This may help.

Have you considered going second hand? There are some nice Wharfdale Diamond 121's going for a very reasonable price on a well known auction site.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I know I bang on about this sometimes, but avoid metal dome tweeters. See if you can pick up something like ProAc Tablettes or Neat, rather than stuff like Monitor Audio.

Dr. Delban

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
JoelSim said:
I know I bang on about this sometimes, but avoid metal dome tweeters. See if you can pick up something like ProAc Tablettes or Neat, rather than stuff like Monitor Audio.

What is wrong with metal dome tweeters? What alternative would you recommend then?
I have a pair of MA speakers and the sound of tweeters was great with Marantz PM6002. Now since I replaced it with a YAMAHA A-S501 they sound worse.

luckylion100 said:
*scratch_one-s_head*

To be fair to JoelSim we still do not know what the OP's actual budget is.

I can hazard a guess looking at the two speakers he has mentioned and you are correct that, even second hand, he is unlikely to find the ProAcs or Neats for that sort of money.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
An assumption on my part based on accompanying kit and speakers mentioned as possible options in original post. Still great sounding speakers can be found for relative peanuts these days. *smile*

luckylion100 said:
An assumption on my part based on accompanying kit and speakers mentioned as possible options in original post. Still great sounding speakers can be found for relative peanuts these days. *smile*

You are quite correct there are plenty more good sounding speakers around these days than there used to be for that sort of money. I am still unsure why he seems worried by a couple of reviews about the Wharfdale Diamond 9.1's. My brother has a pair and I can see nothing wrong with build quality, and in walnut they look great, sound quality is up there with the best to.

All I can say to the OP is do not believe everything you read and, whatever you go for, try to audition first.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts