Best-sounding hi-fi for under £500

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have been very proud of my JVC MX-J850R which my father bought me as a christmas present many, many years ago when I was ten! When I was young, I remember showing it off to my friends and then playing dares to see who would turn it up the loudest! Back then 30 out of 50 of volume seemed incredible! But now I can crank it to full power, all 312 watts of it and it just doesn't seem loud. The speakers even distort a tadd. So now I have figured that it must be dying.

Now I want something with the best sound quality. What is the best all-in-one two speaker hi-fi or seperate hi-fi that I can get for under £500. The most important thing is that it has brilliant sound-quality, something the JVC didn't really have but it should also have: A CD-Player, DAB radio (not a must), Speakers that do not distort when turned up very high, and a way of plugging in my record-player (just a normal red and white aux cable). Size does not matter, neither does design.

Thankyou very much,
The Yellow Balloon Guy

PS. SOME STOMACH-TURNING BASS WOULD BE GOOD!

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
A

Anonymous

That does seem like an impressive system, especially with those other speakers. What I didn't say before was that it could be second-hand off ebay etc. Would I be getting more for my money off ebay, or is it best to stick to new items?

Razz

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Good point Yellow Balloon - second hand is not a bad idea when budget is limited. I'd say you can pretty safely purchase an amplifier off ebay - no moving parts or sensitive elements like motors, coils or membranes which in the case of cd players and speakers can get damaged with the time and in the wrong environment... If space isn't your priority you can certainly get a better setup than the Onkyo however brilliant a unit that is...

A brilliant amplifier I keep recommending is the Marantz PM7200 which you can get for about 150 pounds from ebay. The sound of that unit is fantastic and rather 'cheeky' for the price (as one reviewer put it) - it costed 330 as new when it appeared some 3 years ago. Than you could get a Cambridge Audio 540C CD player new for 200 pounds (with fantastic reviews in all hi-fi press). This would leave you around 150 from you proposed budget which you could invest in the much praised Mordaunt Short 902s, and this would give you a brilliant system that would not suffer comparison with the Onkyo micro. Or you could up your budget by only 50 quid and go for the new sensations speakers Monitor Audio BR2 (200 pounds).

Alternatively if you have a Richer Sounds store in your area you could check their deals, like the system number 5 shown on their site (for exactly 500 pounds): http://www.richersounds.com/information.php?cda=static&cst=hifisystems

Now, with all respect for what Onkyo have succeeded with their micro, there is no way it can touch a good separates system like the ones above...

Razz

A

Anonymous

cambridge audio is a good sidtem i own a 640 amp and 540 cd player. and the mordaunt short 902i but dont bu those they are good very good but they just wont go loud as u wish i have the same problem and there is only 1 way to solve the prob bigger and easyer speakers to drive

TRENDING THREADS