Best site to sell used Hi-fi

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
So I've just done a bit of a new years tidy up and found that I don't use some of my Hi-Fi components as much as I would like to and think it's time to find them a new home. It's a shame that this forum doesn't have a For Sale section. So I wanted to find out what sites do others here recomand for selling Hi-Fi equipment, appart from the obvious, ebay and gumtree.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Define 'Best'. Ebay has by far the biggest potential audience but is not a market where you can make a killing on old HiFi unless you have something rare and desirable.

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
Best meaning a site for Hi-Fi enthusiasts that will be familiar with and appreciate the products. Someone that wants to put together a good system but doesn’t have a budget for new.

I find the free sites just get a lot of time wasters with ridiculous offers, or haven’t a clue about the product.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm also looking for somewhere to sell some equipment but in my case it's vintage Leak hifi. I recently sold a pair of Sony hifi speakers and some other music related items on Gumtree and have found it very useful. Don't put too many items on there at once though as I was getting more replies than I expected.

Have also had luck on Avforums.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Vladimir said:
Why not try PFM or participate in an audio jumble.

I find things sell much quicker on AVForums than PFM.

Nice tip.
thumbs_up.gif

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I've bought and sold a few bits on eBay last year. eBay and PayPal charge quite a lot of money so you can lose out financially compared with other sites. Also as a seller on eBay, I've been ripped off by people buying, then returning items and I still have to pay P&P plus PayPal fees. I'm not going to use eBay any longer.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
wilro15 said:
I've bought and sold a few bits on eBay last year. eBay and PayPal charge quite a lot of money so you can lose out financially compared with other sites. Also as a seller on eBay, I've been ripped off by people buying, then returning items and I still have to pay P&P plus PayPal fees. I'm not going to use eBay any longer.

I've sold several hifi items on ebay over the past few weeks as I'm upgrading my system ... (have sold an old Pioneer SA-9800 amp, a Marantz CD63 MKII K1 signature cdp, aswell as speakers)

I have not had any problems ... Create a heading that has the main keywords for that category, describe the item in great detail,and show photos of any scratches etc and you will be fine.

You get a higher price on ebay, especially if you sell internationaly. I start all my auctions at £1.99 and let them run for 10 days. I also ensure that the auction ends at 21h00 on a sunday night.

Pack properly, and send via recorded/signed for mail... Ebay only charges 10% of the final price. If it does not sell, there is no charge. Ebay adverts are free now aswell.

If you sell an item, and it's properly described, and it arrives safely with no damage, you do not have to pay for return shipping, and you don't even have to accept the item back if you are not a business seller, and the item is 2nd hand.

Worst case scenario is that you will get a negative feedback, but if so, there is a strong possibility that ebay will remove the negative feedback if you ask them to

Ebay is great (for buying and selling).... just be honest in your listings.

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
If selling on ebay I always offer people the opportunity to collect/demo - not many will of course but it shows you're more likely to be honest if you're open to people inspecting said goods. Also take a load of pictures of the item including when it's packaged up so I can demonstrate, if necessary, the condition it was in. I also record a short video on my phone showing it working/playing.

Not had any problems myself but read enough forum posts from others that prompted me to do all the above.

If you take the precautions then, high fees aside, ebay is a good place to sell. People will massively overpay for stuff, often seen really old kit go for 2/3+ of the original price. The days when you could get bargains are long gone as it's so popular now.

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Gumtree worked out fine after all... Managed to sell the R100s. Will need to update my profile pic ;-)

Now just the Audiolab 8200CD that needs a new home.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
As dim span says, I've sold db1is and my stream magic no problem communicated with buyer quickly with tracking no also with Hifi of value there is usually some comm's prior to sale you can usually tell if they are sensible!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts