Best set up for listening to Prog rock and Jazz?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Well this is my first post and I susupect not my last. I have a set-up which has been with me since my early 20's (early to mid 90s) and I have started to think about replacing some of the components which are maybe better equipped to deal with the kind music I listen to. I need it to deliver a warm sound with well defined bass.
My current set up is a entry level Technics (class A) amp, Technics SL-PG400A CD Player, and B & W 600i speakers. I am happy with the speakers, but I am thinking of the some of the following,

1. Marantz CD50/52/63
2. Amp wise I am torn between some of the following - Audiolab 8000, Cambridge AP5, Marantz Technics SU-V650, etc.......may a Nad amp - not sure...

Any thoughts??? - As you can see I am trying to do this on a very tight budget.

A

Anonymous

A Naim setup is a good choice for rockers. Instead of Audiolab 8000, you should try Naim Nait 5i amp + CD.

Brooklands said:
Well this is my first post and I susupect not my last. I have a set-up which has been with me since my early 20's (early to mid 90s) and I have started to think about replacing some of the components which are maybe better equipped to deal with the kind music I listen to. I need it to deliver a warm sound with well defined bass. My current set up is a entry level Technics (class A) amp, Technics SL-PG400A CD Player, and B & W 600i speakers. I am happy with the speakers, but I am thinking of the some of the following, 1. Marantz CD50/52/63 2. Amp wise I am torn between some of the following - Audiolab 8000, Cambridge AP5, Marantz Technics SU-V650, etc.......may a Nad amp - not sure... Any thoughts??? - As you can see I am trying to do this on a very tight budget.

Definitely Exposure 2010S. That is the best amp I've heard for reasonable money.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for the suggestions, however they are not anywhere near my means in terms of costs.....sadly. I should have said that I am concentrating on S/H items......

Brooklands said:
Many thanks for the suggestions, however they are not anywhere near my means in terms of costs.....sadly. I should have said that I am concentrating on S/H items......

What is your overall budget? If you are really limited then look at Arcam Alpha range (8 or 9). These can be picked up for as little as £200, or if you can stretch the budget further look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Roksan-Kandy-L111-superb-phono-stage-Naim-Nait-beater-/250808886698?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item3a655fe5aa

In some ways it's better than the K2 IMO.

A

Anonymous

If you are looking for a warm sound stay away from cambridge, they are IMO the very opposite.

Marantz could be it, but they can also sound a little bright and often have quite poor bass (wooly and weak), if you are a basshead.

My vote goes for a tubeamp or an older arcam like PP said. Maybe an Alpha 10?

A

Anonymous

I forgot, a NAD should do the trick too. Maybe a 325 or something.

Nad are famous for their bass slam, personally i think it can be too much, others like it.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks - this seems much more what I was looking for. I'll have a look now to see how the Arcam and Nad amps go for.

T

the record spot

Don't write off the Technics model you mentioned, also the V600s and upwards were good as well and highly underrated. Ample power and as good as the Arcams and the NADs. I had an SU-V6 for a while and it was alright. Another poster on here bought a similar Technics amp to the one you mentioned and he enjoyed it immensely. You could also check out some of the Sansui AU-317s that are currently on Ebay, all of which seem in good condition. A 50wpc amp, can take a power amp and part of the famous Sansui 17 series amps of which I've got two (at either end of the scale) and they're superb for the money. Easily within your budget and good as long as you don't push them beyond their limits.

A

Anonymous

the record spot said:
Don't write off the Technics model you mentioned, also the V600s and upwards were good as well and highly underrated. Ample power and as good as the Arcams and the NADs. I had an SU-V6 for a while and it was alright. Another poster on here bought a similar Technics amp to the one you mentioned and he enjoyed it immensely. You could also check out some of the Sansui AU-317s that are currently on Ebay, all of which seem in good condition. A 50wpc amp, can take a power amp and part of the famous Sansui 17 series amps of which I've got two (at either end of the scale) and they're superb for the money. Easily within your budget and good as long as you don't push them beyond their limits.

Cheers, I am still keeping my mind open - and I am still liking the idea of either Technics or Marantz amp......

T

the record spot

And if you're in the UK, there's a Marantz CD50 just gone on Ebay for £45, plus £15 P&P. Looks like it's in fine condition too (as in excellent). For the money, you'll do alright I think.

A

Anonymous

I listen to loads of prog as well as jazz fusion, I have a Pioneer A400 and it suits both genres (in fact all genres) very well! You can buy mint examples on ebay for £100-£150.

Although they sound amazing as they are, they are a lot of fun to moddify and you can get some great sonic benefits from doing so.

Goodluck!

A

Anonymous

the record spot said:
And if you're in the UK, there's a Marantz CD50 just gone on Ebay for £45, plus £15 P&P. Looks like it's in fine condition too (as in excellent). For the money, you'll do alright I think.

I am in the UK and I have just seen the CD52 - looks good! Cheers!!

A

Anonymous

ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit said:
I listen to loads of prog as well as jazz fusion, I have a Pioneer A400 and it suits both genres (in fact all genres) very well! You can buy mint examples on ebay for £100-£150.

Although they sound amazing as they are, they are a lot of fun to moddify and you can get some great sonic benefits from doing so.

Goodluck!

Many thanks for the tip!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts