Best possible speakers for a Sonos system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm trying to get the most detail I can from my Sonos system. I currently have a pair of Tannoy Custom F1s connected to the amplified unit but am looking to upgrade.

I am a realist and I know streaming from Napster will always be a bit fuzzy. But for lossless tracks what is the best possible speaker I could justify matching to this system to bring out all of the sound?

Is the S5 the best bet?

Thanks

Jon

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
jozza82:I'm trying to get the most detail I can from my Sonos system. I currently have a pair of Tannoy Custom F1s connected to the amplified unit but am looking to upgrade.

I am a realist and I know streaming from Napster will always be a bit fuzzy. But for lossless tracks what is the best possible speaker I could justify matching to this system to bring out all of the sound?

Is the S5 the best bet?

Errr, the S5 is a self-contained unit, it's basically a ZP120 (which you must already have) with speakers built-in, you couldn't use one as the speakers for a ZP120 and indeed there'd be no point.

As to which speakers are best for the ZP120, I really couldn't say, I've only heard a very limited selection.

A

Anonymous

Thanks the the response. Sorry - wasnt clear. If I went for the S5 I would just get it as a standalone and probably set up another zone with the exsiting 120.

A

Anonymous

Depends on your intentions. The amp in ZP120 is OK, but it's not suited to bigger, pricier speakers: your Customs are about right.

If you're chasing a really substantial upgrade, better to use the Sonos as a source component for a hi-fi system. Connect it via analogue into a stereo amp in the case of a ZP120, or link a ZP90 via digital into a DAC/amp or digital-ready amplifier. With a better amp in place, you'd have a wider choice over both size and quality of loudspeakers.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Although the ZP100 had pre outs, the ZP120 does not, and so cannot be connected to an external amp. You have to use a ZP90 for that now.

I listened to all sorts when I was looking at speakers for my ZP120, and ended up with Leema Zeros (RRP £650). To be honest the ZP120 doesn't do them justice, but it works and sounds great at low to medium volumes. I will in the longer term move over to a ZP90, DAC and stereo amp though to get the best from them. All depends how much you are willing to spend, but I thought that the ZP120 also worked really well with Monitor Audio RX1 or RX2 and Rega RS1 at cheaper price points.

Best bet is to take your ZP120 to a couple of shops that have Sonos, link it to their systems and to a selection of their speakers and have a play. They should be quite happy for you to do this (they were for me and it seemed like it was a common thing to do ). Then you can decide for yourself what works best.

Let us know how you get on!

A

Anonymous

gregvet:

Although the ZP100 had pre outs, the ZP120 does not, and so cannot be connected to an external amp. You have to use a ZP90 for that now.

Quite right. Apologies, I've got both ZP100 and ZP120 in my system (plus a ZP90 and an S5) and I got myself mixed up. Good spot.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I've found in a few demos that KEF's UniQ based speakers tend to deal quite well with compressed music, and at our open day last year we used a pair of KEF Q10's with the ZP120, and I was quite surprised how well they performed on it. Well worth an audition.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the replies.

I ended up going for an S5 in the bedroom and have put the ZP120 in the loft attached to a monitor audio C164 T2 ceiling speaker in the bathroom.

S5 gave a great demo in the shop compared something like the Tannoy F1s and Monitor Audio BR1s hooked up to a ZP120 - a lot more bass and drive!

I'll likely now upgrade the speakers hooked up to my amp using some of your recommendations and advice so thanks again

Jon

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts