Best multiroom wifi solution for Onkyo 875

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Ok so the setup most likely it's going to be like that:

TV + Onkyo 875 + B&W CM7 floorstanders in the reception.

I'm looking for a wifi solution to have 2 speaker sets for zone 2/3 one in bedroom and another in the kitchen.

What's the best way to do it?

A

Anonymous

The class act is SONOS. The £699 bundle gets you 2 zones, one with amp just add speakers,the other just connects to current set up, and the controller. Buy a big NAS to store your tunes on. You may need a Zonebridge if one zone isn't in the same place as your router.

QED

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Yes Sonos is one option, but that would mean that Onkyo amp is one of the end points rather than the source of the music? Am I right?

I'm looking for a solution where Onkyo is the source which feeds the music in other zones around the house? Can you do that with Sonos? Would having Onkyo 905 make much difference?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Something like the Audiocast system from Soundcast would do the trick. You could even run two receivers from one transmitter, thus only using one Zone output on the Onkyo, if you wanted the same music or whatever in each room. Use these with active speakers in each extra room, and you're sorted.

The alternative, albeit pricier, option, would be Sonneteer's Bard system, with either Bard Three or Rugrat receivers in the extra zones. These have the benefit of built-in amplification, and sound good, but ain't cheap.

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Andrew.. I didn't know about the Audiocast solution, looks very interesting and quite cheap, but I was thinking a bit more about this yesterday and Sonos might be the way to go after all.

I mean even if the output is from Onkyo amp the sound quality not going to be much better than from Sonos after being send via wifi. I can connect Sonos to my Buffalo NAS (I hope) and that gives me lots of mp3's to listen to.. and a cool remote control which works around the house.

So I thing I'm going to build a proper sound system in one room (amp+floorstanders) and live with mp3 quality in the rest of the house.

A

Anonymous

The Sonos boxes have one stereo RCA Line Level input that can be selected so that this can be beamed without the aid of wires around the house.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts