Best interconnect full stop for under a hundred pounds?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I am as intrigued as JD. So, further to my posting in mr. duncan's thread, which may be overlooked by the contributing editors since new ones arrive at about 5 per minute, could you Andrew and/or Clare pls tell me which analogue interconnect is in your opinion the best allrounder up to a hundred pounds per m/length or a bit more for a 0.5, 0.75 length. I'll only have a tie me over system but it'll have to do and whatever I get will cost quite a bit so it should'nt be wasted money. If it is I hold you both responsible. The system will of course be built around the interconnect
emotion-1.gif

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i have the chord chameleon which is very good - i bought this to replace the merlin chopin i had - this one i prefer but also thought the merlin was good for the money especially if bought direct from merlincables

A

Anonymous

Im happy with Nordost Blue Heaven (£65 used from eBay). This connects a Cyrus DAC-X and Bel Canto amplification.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Thaiman:

How many cables out there that cost less than 100 notes per metre?

and how many way are there to make Interconnects?

John Duncan

drummerman:I am as intrigued as JD. So, further to my posting in mr. duncan's thread, which may be overlooked by the contributing editors since new ones arrive at about 5 per minute, could you Andrew and/or Clare pls tell me which analogue interconnect is in your opinion the best allrounder up to a hundred pounds per m/length or a bit more for a 0.5, 0.75 length. I'll only have a tie me over system but it'll have to do and whatever I get will cost quite a bit so it should'nt be wasted money. If it is I hold you both responsible. The system will of course be built around the interconnect
emotion-1.gif

I can give you four half metre pairs of Gotham for nothing.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Thaiman:Thaiman:

How many cables out there that cost less than 100 notes per metre?

and how many way are there to make Interconnects?

How many Cables manufacture do made their own oxygen free copper?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
TM, if I understand you correct, you are trying to say you have to spend more. Sorry mate, whilst I appreciate that there are no doubt very good cables out there for more money I rather spend mine on music! Whatever I'll buy will cost between 2 and 3 grand tops so I would'nt go mad with interconnects especially since I have had relatively cheap ones for all my previous (good) systems, including the GAC-1 and was always happy with them.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I try to say don't loose any sleep over cables!

As long as you are not use the red/white pair that use to come free in the box you should be OK?

Some interconnects do make a big differents but from my experienced they do cost a kidney or two!

all in all you shouldn't worry about "wires" to much, as long as they are well build, well terminated and screened properly.......the main three components are what make your system sound good or not. NOT CABLES.

I can prove to you in just a few minutes if you can pop over to Norfolk :)

good luck with the hunt

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:drummerman:I am as intrigued as JD. So, further to my posting in mr. duncan's thread, which may be overlooked by the contributing editors since new ones arrive at about 5 per minute, could you Andrew and/or Clare pls tell me which analogue interconnect is in your opinion the best allrounder up to a hundred pounds per m/length or a bit more for a 0.5, 0.75 length. I'll only have a tie me over system but it'll have to do and whatever I get will cost quite a bit so it should'nt be wasted money. If it is I hold you both responsible. The system will of course be built around the interconnect
emotion-1.gif

I can give you four half metre pairs of Gotham for nothing.

Thanks but I got some.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Thaiman:

As long as you are not use the red/white pair that use to come free in the box you should be OK?

Some interconnects do make a big differents but from my experienced they do cost a kidney or two!

all in all you shouldn't worry about "wires" to much, as long as they are well build, well terminated and screened properly.......the main three components are what make your system sound good or not. NOT CABLES.

good luck with the hunt

What cables are you currently (this week) using Thaiman??

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Thaiman:

good luck with the hunt

Cheers buddy. I agree and so far it has served me well. Still, personally I think a hundred pounds is ok for decent cable but I would'nt go beyond that so I'll have a go and if its no better than what I got lying around here it goes on ebay. simple. Whatever happened to your downgrading and how are the new speakers? I hope you went for the silver signature versions or whatever which I believe are about 2 grand more for a bit of fancy wiring (!) and a few upgraded xover components
emotion-2.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Thaiman:
Gerrardasnails:

Virtual Dynamics, Cardas and Audioquest.

And if you replaced them Chord Cobra or dare I say, Gotham, what do you think the difference would be?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:Thaiman:

good luck with the hunt

Cheers buddy. I agree and so far it has served me well. Still, personally I think a hundred pounds is ok for decent cable but I would'nt go beyond that so I'll have a go and if its no better than what I got lying around here it goes on ebay. simple. Whatever happened to your downgrading and how are the new speakers? I hope you went for the silver signature versions or whatever which I believe are about 2 grand more for a bit of fancy wiring (!) and a few upgraded xover components
emotion-2.gif

No offense mate. It is the Art Emotions you are having delivered?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:Thaiman:

Gerrardasnails:

And if you replaced them Chord Cobra or dare I say, Gotham, what do you think the difference would be?

I can't hear the different between many interconnects! I wanted to but I can't! All The pair I bought are the one that I quite certain that improvement is there to be heard and even that I am not 100% sure that how much change in sound I can hear by changing cables. I understand that many people really believe that they can hear massive different in ANY cables and I have no problem with that after all you can spend your money on whatever that will make you happy (my best friends always play with cables!)

EDITED: please do not discuss moderation - Mods

There are a few question I have ask earlier in this thread....try to answer them if you want to know the truth about cables manufatures.

A

Anonymous

Upgraded my CD to Amp interconnect but left the DAB Radio to Amp one as standard as I don't think I need to worry.

I'm sure I'll be flamed but the one I got was made by Soundstable and looks pretty useful - especially for a tenner! Genuine difference in sound. Bass response better, top end clearer.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330268449197&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=330248670836&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&usedrule2=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=algo%3DDR%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu%3DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D3

A

Anonymous

I've tried many mid price interconnect cable and cant see a different until i found Siltech SQ-28Mk2 G5 which cost more than my speaker.

Cheap things not good...good things not cheap

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Here we go again. Editors, would appreciate your opinion on my original question and if you have differing favorites pls explain why. Thanks.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Thaiman:Gerrardasnails:Thaiman:

Gerrardasnails:

I can't hear the different between many interconnects! I wanted to but I can't! All The pair I bought are the one that I quite certain that improvement is there to be heard and even that I am not 100% sure that how much change in sound I can hear by changing cables. I understand that many people really believe that they can hear massive different in ANY cables and I have no problem with that after all you can spend your money on whatever that will make you happy (my best friends always play with cables!)

EDITED: please do not discuss moderation - Mods

There are a few question I have ask earlier in this thread....try to answer them if you want to know the truth about cables manufatures.

But surely that means you are saying that your cables costing hundreds or thousands do improve your system enough for you to justify spending that much money. That's basically what I and others have found on a different level.

I'm pretty sure that cables can make a difference and there are a number of things that can influence how much of a difference.

As for the original post, if we are talking rrp, the Chameleon Silver Plus must be hard to beat. I downgraded from the Anthem 2 which I noticed significant improvemement on my budget cables before. I don't notice much difference between the Anthem 2 and the Chameleon and I sold the Anthem for £230ish and bought the CSP for £70ish - so my wallet did notice a difference.

A

Anonymous

We can all justify paying more/less for anything but I think for many of you expensive = best

Like the sort that will only drive a Merc but fail to realise that a Ford/Vauxhall/whatever can do the same job better - but will never know.

I'd certainly go to huge lengths to try and justify spending £100s on some wire (and yep - I do have an idea why they cost so much being a Materials Engineering grad).

As some say, hifi enthusiasm can get to the stage where all you do is listen for faults rather than enjoy music any more.

A

Anonymous

QED silver spiral can be had for a decent price these days!

John Duncan

Surf Matt:for many of you expensive = best

No. I've said before that I cannot tell the difference between my 50 quid cables and my ten quid cables. But now having been told (by people who have heard more cables than me) that my 10 quid cables are really rubbish, I want to explore whether paying more (how much more is open to debate) could be revelatory.

Surf Matt:As some say, hifi enthusiasm can get to the stage where all you do is listen for faults rather than enjoy music any more.

Yes, but now I've been told not to think of a white elephant.........

A

Anonymous

JD - how about looking at other £10 cables (or sub £30 ones) like the ones I linked to then?

Might just save a few quid rather than rushing out to buy monster priced ones. Interconnects seem to be one of THE most randomly priced items on hifi land.

John Duncan

Surf Matt:
JD - how about looking at other £10 cables (or sub £30 ones) like the ones I linked to then?

Might just save a few quid rather than rushing out to buy monster priced ones. Interconnects seem to be one of THE most randomly priced items on hifi land.

Well I wouldn't buy monster (not ©, obviously) cables except on eBay for a fraction of the price (hopefully), thus meaning I could get my money back. But I like the readers' rescue idea - presuming there'd be some mentally-priced cables in there........

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts