After years of loosing interest in
music, I am going to start listening seriously again, Classical, Rock
and Blues. My plan is to install a new Amp+CD player+Speakers, along
with my books and TV, in a small room (2.5mx3.5m). I have three
problems: first there is no local dealer where I can go and listen to
combinations of kit, anyway I am not sure whether the sound in a
showroom would equate to the sound in my room. Secondly, with a
relatively small room is their any point in buying high end equipment
when I am likely to use only a small percentage of the power output?
Lastly, in view of these issues, I am tempted just to buy one of What
Hi Fi's more modest recommended systems, e.g. Marantz PM6002+CD6002+
B&W 685 speakers, would this give me quality of sound in my room?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
briansymons:

@page { margin: 2cm }
P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm }
-->

Secondly, with a relatively small room is their any point in buying high end equipment when I am likely to use only a small percentage of the power output?

There is little correlation between high end equipment and power output. High end equipment is about quality sound. There are tube amps that costs thousands that only put out 20 watts. So, yes, there is definately a good reason to buy high quality equipment. It will make a big difference in your enjoying music again. A quality Hi Fi will bring excitement to listening and will make you want to keep listening. I find it hard to pry myself away from my Hi Fi. You will have the same reaction if you buy the right equipment.

No, you don't need big power output for a small room. What you need is high quality electronics and some stand mount speakers without regard to power output. You can create a system that is hugely entertaining.

briansymons:

@page { margin: 2cm }
P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm }
-->

I am tempted just to buy one of What Hi Fi's more modest recommended systems, e.g. Marantz PM6002+CD6002+ B&W 685 speakers, would this give me quality of sound in my room?

Yes, you can get great quality sound from carefully selected modest equipment. But you must select very carefully, because there is a huge difference in sound quality. I know the Marantz equipment is highly regarded, but my experience with Marantz has never impressed me. I own NAD and in my opinion no other brand can touch NAD for price/performance. Look at the new NAD C326bee (5 stars from WHF) and the NAD C545bee (also 5 stars). The B&Ws are an excellent choice, but try many others as that price range is loaded with choices.

One more thing, speaker cable and interconnects are critical. Don't listen to the debunkers on this subject. You must replace stock interconnects and use good quality speaker cable or your system will suffer.

A

Anonymous

I also have a small room, so know the problems. Yes, there would be a point in buying high end equipment, because it does sound better, and removes the need to upgrade.

Bear in mind that, if you have to place your speakers close to the wall, you'll be better off with speakers that have forward-firing bass ports or sealed enclosures.

There are a number of all-in-one systems that are pretty good. The new Naim Uniti looks a bit of a bargain, and, coupled with the N-sats, which can be wall mounted, would give you an excellent system that takes up little space. However, the N-sats need an audition, because they're not everyone's cup of tea, and really need a subwoofer to fill out the bass.

Sonus Faber make wall mounts, but these cost an arm and a leg. However, the concertinos and minimas are more affordable and are several classes above the B&Ws you mention. There's also the new SF Toys, which are small but again need a sub woofer. Sonus Fabers are hard to beat with classical music. Also excellent are the smaller Spendors , Neats, Totems and the Dynaudio range.

It all really depends on your budget. Also, auditioning is a must. You can waste a lot of money buying blind, especially with speakers. I've done it, and dropped quite a lot of money.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice: it has helped focus my thinking. It is evident that I need to listen to a range of equipment, but as I mentioned there are no large local dealers so my 'listening' choices are limited. As a start, a helpful local shop has agreed to set up a demo of Marantz 6002 and 8002 equipment (they do not stock NAD), they suggest that I will hear a real difference between the two. Hopefully I will begin to sense at what price level my perception of 'quality' sound resides.

Any tips on how I should listen to the demos? other than my subjective sense of 'it sounds good', are there distinct audio features I should judge that will help me differentiate between £1000 and £2000 of of kit?

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Take some CDs with you that you know well and have a good listen.If you are only going to play at low volumes at home then play at low volumes in the shop. If you can't tell the difference then buy the cheaper.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Yes there is a point, but you need to pick speakers that show a lot of detail at low volumes as well as high volumes. Some speakers don't sing until the volume is whacked up and you need to avoid these.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
Some speakers don't sing until the volume is whacked up and you need to avoid these.

Dynaudio

A

Anonymous

If you like the 685 I would avoid rhe PM6002, I auditioned it and it sounded flappy and weak (even though it was fairly detailed). I have heard a fair amount of budget amps and IMO if you were spending less than say £300, I wouldn't consider anything but NAD IME.

Also as space is an issue, look at Cyrus - am looking to sell my gear and buy a Cyrus 8XPd, my room is the same size as yours, and my 685s are great in this room, though get them on some Super Dreadnoughts for them to shine. Also personally I wouldn't get anything under 50 watts per channel (even in your room size), as the extra power comes in handy when driving various speakers, and if and when you want to change or upgrade.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts