BEST CD AMP COMBO UNDER A GRAND OR SECOND HAND ?

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
HI guys ive decided not go and spend another fortune on another system ( not after my previous audiolab mono bloc waste of money) so now gonna go quality budget. the systems hi have in mind are yamaha as500/700 arcam a18/17 or possibly very good quality second hand ie naim etc although i dont really know what second hand stuff would still be a good buy. I will be keeping my current speakers and turntable so will need to be a good match and phono stage iff poss, thanks for all help given

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
audioaddict said:
HI guys ive decided not go and spend another fortune on another system ( not after my previous audiolab mono bloc waste of money) so now gonna go quality budget. the systems hi have in mind are yamaha as500/700 arcam a18/17 or possibly very good quality second hand ie naim etc although i dont really know what second hand stuff would still be a good buy. I will be keeping my current speakers and turntable so will need to be a good match and phono stage iff poss, thanks for all help given

mate, I would try out the new Rotel gear to match your CM 1's.

http://www.hifix.co.uk/rotel

A

Anonymous

Locate all dealers nearby and check what brands and models they are carrying.

Then go and listen to their stuff. If you find something interesting, ask if you can borrow it for i.e. 3 days for audit in your home.

If they say no, don't buy it.

Don't buy anything unless you can audit it with your other equipment in your own room.

I found out the hard way that equipment which may sound fine in the shop, can sound awful on your home audio system. Simply because your other equipment may be a poor match for the new equipment.
Amp and speakers in particular have to go nicely together.

A

Anonymous

I'd go 2nd hand and with older stuff as well... IMO MUCH better than the likes of the Arcam FMJ A18 combo which I always found to be weak!

Arcam Alpha 10 integrated amp and either the Arcam Alpha 9 CD player or the likes of a Rega Apollo, Arcam CD192 etc...

The NAD C352, C355BEE amps are very good as well (yes built like battleships but sound fantastic) and they'd gel very well indeed with the above mentioned CD players

If you want new then the Rega Brio-R amp would be a great fit

audioaddict said:

Weren't you taken by Roksan Kandy K2? If so, this should do you a treat.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roksan-Kandy-integrated-amplifier-LIII-/281023049179?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item416e476ddb

Sevenoaks @ Bromley are currently selling ex-dem Arcam CD17 @ £399.

Alternatively, Marantz 603 which will give you any streaming + tuner. Otherwise look for a Rotel RA-06SE.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I can recommend the Arcam CD17/A28 combo. The jump up in class from the A18 to the A28 is marked, and 2nd hand you might come in under your budget.

I would say The Creek Evo2 combo but they rarely come up 2nd hand under your budget. Talking of Creek, you can currently buy a new Evolution 5350 amp from Lintone Audio for just over half price at the moment (£679), that might be worth looking at.

A

Anonymous

What kind of music are you listening to the most?

If you're into anything but classical and jazz, I'll recommend NAD, i.e. the NAD C352, which I've had myself.

NAD generally means power, energy and excellent timing.

It is superb for rock music and the like.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't know what your issues were with Audiolab, but Sound Hi Fi are having a bit of a sale on at the moment and they have some brand new Audiolab 8200CD and 8200A units going at a big discount ( £364.50 & £475 respectively). Another combo to consider possibly.

TRENDING THREADS