Best British DACs of all time

aysil

Apr 15, 2023
Visit site
Because, both the original Mojo and Mojo2 are mentioned here, I would like to mention my comparisons between the two. I have experienced many times in my audio life that a higher priced or a newer model from a certain brand is not necessarily better. But I was not expecting this one.
Mojo has become my beloved object, for many years now, for listening to music with my different earphones, especially during my travels. When I learned that Mojo2 arrived, I was excited to hear, how it could be even better. However, I was disappointed.
The comparisons were made after I gave Mojo 2 sufficient run-in time. Mojo2, like all DACs from Chord, is definitely not a bad sounding device. It is totally free from "digital grudge" and has a well-balanced sound. It has somewhat more detail than Mojo(1) and a tighter bass. However, I was disturbed from the first sessions on that I could not do long hours of listening. I sensed some fatigue after a while. Moreover, the music did not give the same kind of satisfaction I got from Mojo(1). Later on, I realized, this was the result of a certain overemphasis of the leading edges of notes. When you're listening to the piano, the strokes are not expressions of strength and excitement, but more like hammering on your head! This never happens when you're listening to a live piano performance. Has overemphasized leading edges become a trend in the last years? I'm sorry to see this here. When the emphasis is not on the flow of the music, but on single notes, the inner dynamic and the "drama" of the music vanishes. Emotionally, you're not being moved so deeply anymore.
I'm glad I did this comparison before I got rid of my old Mojos. Instead, the Mojo2 is going away, and I am holding on to my Mojo(1)s, even more strongly :) And I'm glad that the original Mojo remained on this list.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts