Best blu ray player JUST for picture quality

T

theflyingwasp

hi everyone been into home cinema for a year now .i have the yamaha ysp 2200 soundbar ,panasonic bdt 210 and the panasonic 55vt50 .i want to upgrade my blu ray player but im not interested in online services .i just want the blu ray player with the best possible picture.all the high end blu ray players have a multitude of features im just not interested in except the twin hdmi outputs and 3d .im i wasting my money on the oppo 103 denon ud 2012 ,marantz etc or do these players justify the price just for picture quaility.i have a budget of up to £1000.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Oppo 103 is worth having a look at. I don't generally use sharpness controls on players as they're not great, but the one on the Oppo is great- sharpest looking pic I've ever seen :)

Remember that the higher end players mainly invest in sound improvements. You only have a soundbar, so audio enhancements in a player is of no use to you. Oppo 103 is a good option, but I think you'll be paying for a lot of features you won't use. Look at Panasonic BDT500, Sony S790 & Pioneer BDP-450.

You will be better served by going for a budget blu ray player (like Pioneer 120) & spend the extra cash on a decent separates system (AV receiver and 5.1 speakers). No blu ray player at any price point can beat this.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I'll say something different.

Whilst I have seen slight variations in motion processing - mainly with a player having problems with specific discs (that is later fixed by firmware updates) - I have NEVER heard any differences in sound when playing BDs.

Sure some players have better sound when playing just audio like cds (by switching off the video circuitary) but when playing BDs lossless on one player sounds just like lossless on another - or through analog outs come to that...

I'd go for the one which has the best online services, or 2hdmi (should you not have a 3d amp).

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Nobody's mentioned upscaling yet. Are you looking for the best option playing Blu-ray discs only, or do you have a large DVD library you also want to make the most of?

I appreciate that you're relatively new to home cinema, but you may have been collecting DVDs for years and playing them on a lower end system.

If upscaling is important, there's some value in looking at higher end players. As always, audition and conduct A/B testing if possible, so you can get a better sense of how players at different price points compare. As suggested above, you may find that a budget player is all you need.

dsuciato

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
The Sony S790 will do, great picture, great up-scaling, twin HDMI output, 3D, also 4K maybe for future use also very reasonable price :) . Using it for 8 months now & very happy with it.

AnotherJoe said:
I'd go for the one which has the best online services, or 2hdmi (should you not have a 3d amp).

theflyingwasp said:
hi everyone been into home cinema for a year now .i have the yamaha ysp 2200 soundbar ,panasonic bdt 210 and the panasonic 55vt50 .i want to upgrade my blu ray player but im not interested in online services .i just want the blu ray player with the best possible picture.all the high end blu ray players have a multitude of features im just not interested in except the twin hdmi outputs and 3d .im i wasting my money on the oppo 103 denon ud 2012 ,marantz etc or do these players justify the price just for picture quaility.i have a budget of up to £1000.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
When we did the Big Question with three "levels" of Blu-ray player, differences in sound and image were noted by all three participants (I was one of them).Through a huge Samsung screen and a KEF surround system.

But interestingly, being different did not necessarily mean that we all preferred the most expensive (Oppo).

Personally, the upper end Oppo gave much more musical reproduction (better snare and kick sound, for example) and a more cinematic smooth image, on DVD upscaling and blu-ray.

Very happy with my CA BD751 and was noticably different (sound and audio) to my previous CABD650 in a one hour head to head at Richer Sounds auditioning room in Maidstone, across a range of DVDs, Blu-rays and Blu-ray pure audio discs.

There's a thread somewhere here about it.

T

theflyingwasp

thanks to all the replys .to answer strapped for cashs question yes i do own a lot of dvds and even if money was no object i still wouldnt rebuy them on blu ray.so a high end blu ray player would perhaps do a better job of upscaling.im upgrading to hopefully the panasonic zt60 in may .maybe its just my ignorance being new to home cinema but spending 4000 on a tv then only 200-300 on a blu ray player even tho these players do get great reviews seems like im cheaping out.hence the reason i fancy the oppo 103 and other models up to 1000.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I was picking up my repaired PV1D at lunchtime, and I was given a nice audition of a big (55 I think) latest Panasonic.

The salesman himself said that he'd bought an Oppo105 to go with his own one at home, as it was head and shoulders above the other BD players he'd tried (all the usual suspects), and they don't even stock Oppo.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Of the 4 blu-players I have (do) own - PS3 Fat, Samsung BD-C6900, Panasonic BDP310, and Denon DBT-3313 I have never noticed any sonic differences.

Anyone who thinks they have heard a big difference I suggest it is more of a settings issue.

For example when using HDMI-CEC (bravialink,samsung connect, viera etc) you have to make sure that the amps output is set to AMP and not TV+AMP - otherwise the amp drops down to the lossy soundtrack.

I've also tried LPCM, Bitstream, Analog outs - not a jot of difference in any. (Obviously bitsream,analog doesnt apply to the PS3 Fat).

The motion on the Samsung used to stutter on a few discs (Da Vinci Code, Monsters v Aliens 3D spring to mind) , but these were later fixed by firmware updates, before the Sammy packed in so perhaps it was dodgy from the outset.

manicm

In PQ, what I've noticed between Blu-ray players are noise levels at default settings at least, and Bigboss is welcome to disagree :). It's my personal bugbear, and I found the Sony 370 noticeably better than the 360, and my CA 751BD admittedly marginally better still.

I know my display is not the best around, so that could come into play as well. Also WHF's reviews tended to favour the Marantz 7006/Denon 2012 for pictures at the high end. What's notable about these stablemates is that they employ the Anchor Bay video processors rather than the now ubiquitous Marvel Qdeo ones that CA/Oppo favour, as well as Onkyo and I think some Pioneers as well.

What's also notable is that Marantz/Denon don't state the make of their newer replacements, but if WHF's Marantz 7007 is anything to go by it may still be the Anchor Bay.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
There should be 3 players on your demo list

Marantz 7007

Cambridge 752

Oppo 103

These players are exceptional, the Oppo just edges it for me. The bigger your screen the more benefit you get with these expensive players. What I mean is, the difference is not so obvious on smaller sets.

Would love to hear what you choose

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
thanks to all the replys .to answer strapped for cashs question yes i do own a lot of dvds and even if money was no object i still wouldnt rebuy them on blu ray.so a high end blu ray player would perhaps do a better job of upscaling.im upgrading to hopefully the panasonic zt60 in may .maybe its just my ignorance being new to home cinema but spending 4000 on a tv then only 200-300 on a blu ray player even tho these players do get great reviews seems like im cheaping out.hence the reason i fancy the oppo 103 and other models up to 1000.

It's only "cheaping out" if you're not getting the best out of your system.

Since you own a lot of DVDs and you'll be playing them on an expensive and relatively large TV, you may well get value from the right mid-to-high end BDP.

I'm fast becoming an advocate of blind auditioning, when possible. Obviously you can't do this with TVs, as you'll be looking at the product. With source components such as Blu-ray players, however, and amplifiers and receivers if the retailer is willing to play the game, blind auditioning should be entirely possible.

Test a well reviewed budget, mid-range, and high-end BDP with Blu-rays and DVDs and see what you think. You may notice no difference between the three. You may find you prefer the budget model and save yourself a fair bit of money. If you prefer the high-end model following a blind audition, at least you know your money will be well spent.

In my view, everyone should audition this way, with no commentary from the retailer to gently steer you in the most expensive direction. Take a blindfold or close your eyes. It'll be like when the football scores are shown on the news. The retailer can tell you when to open your eyes, so you don't see on-screen manufacturer logos and the like...

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:

Hey there wasp... I had the Sony 370...... I now have the Sony S790... quite brilliant !

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
duaplex said:

Marantz 7007

Cambridge 752

Oppo 103

These players are exceptional, the Oppo just edges it for me. The bigger your screen the more benefit you get with these expensive players. What I mean is, the difference is not so obvious on smaller sets.

I would love to do a showdown on all 3 of these against my LX55 to see what the differences are if any - that would be a fun day

T

theflyingwasp

thanks again to all those who gave me their opinion.a lot of guys on these forums have forgotten more than i will ever know.i am going to go with the oppo 103 only slight problem i have with this is that every single review ive read about is player is outstanding except for bloody what hifis review.id go for the oppo 105 but i only have the yamaha ysp 2200 soundbar.i have a 55inch screen just now and im getting the panasonic zt60 if its under 4000 aswell as having it professionaly calibrated. i have a ton of dvds that im never rebuying on blu ray and the oppo seems to upscale very well.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
duaplex said:

Marantz 7007

Cambridge 752

Oppo 103

I would love to do a showdown on all 3 of these against my LX55 to see what the differences are if any - that would be a fun day

my friend has the same set up as yours and he got the sony s790 blu ray player looked great though his meridian projector give it a try too:p

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
ellisdj said:
duaplex said:

Marantz 7007

Cambridge 752

Oppo 103

my friend has the same set up as yours and he got the sony s790 blu ray player looked great though his meridian projector give it a try too:p

Having a Meridian Projector - now thats just showing off - I am well jel !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts