Best Blu Ray player for HD ready KURO ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks, first time posting here so hopefully this will work !

I have a Pioneer PDP 508XD and am looking to add a blu ray player and amp. I have been impressed with the HD picture quality on the set using SKY HD and want the best picture quality I can get from a BDP.

Given that the set is only HD ready is it worth spending extra cash on a player such as the LX52 (or LX91 if i can stretch the funds) or would the 320 be a better match for the resolution of the tv ?

I would like to stick with pioneer (even though from reading the numerous posts on these forums it appears an Oppo would probably be best!!)

Any advice greatly appreciated.

topbloke55

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
Hiya

Well the good news is that when you see Blu Ray next to Sky HD you will realise that Sky HD is the poor relation.

As you will see I have the 42" Pioneer Plasma HD Ready with the BDP-LX08, same as the BDP-LX71 but snaller, which was worth the extra month for me.

The Picture is stunning and I am fussy, for example I have had my plasma professionaly set-up to D65.

You can get a LX71 for around £450 and it now supports all audio formats and the sound is great also, I use it with the analog outputs.

I have seen the Panasonics and they are not quite a good, but not seen the Oppo or the LX52 or 320 so can't comment on those.

Good luck, you will love it when you get one.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I have a 4280 and with blu-ray, whilst you lose in absolute sharpness compared to some, you make up in spades in other aspects. At the moment I have the Sony BDP-S350, but I'm very interested in the forthcoming Oppo, not least because it plays DVD-A and SACD.

A

Anonymous

Thanks topbloke 55.

I've no doubt I will be impressed with the quality of the picture from any BDP (currently using a Denon 1940 dvd player to upscale DVDs which gives great results) . My only concern is that purchasing a top quality player such as an LX91 would be a waste given my set isn't full HD.

Have considered upgrading to a full HD KRP600M but still have to pay the mortgage as well !

topbloke55

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
dc1164:My only concern is that purchasing a top quality player such as an LX91 would be a waste given my set isn't full HD.

I think you may be right there, I seem to remember one of the WHF team making a commet about screen resolution and type of player on the forums at some stage. Along the lines of what your suggesting about the LX91 on a HD ready TV and whether you would notice the extra quality. They may be able to guide you, but if your going to upgrade ... very nice.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply Sorreltiger.

I'm looking forward to the review of the Oppo as well, just to see WHF agree with the views of the folk who have already taken the plunge.

Would ask if changing HDMI cables and power supplies would improve the performance of an Oppo but the site would probably crash !

A

Anonymous

Hi DC1164. You havent mentioneed a budget but I'm going to guess that you are looking to spend circa £1500 ish on an amp & blu-ray?

I went down the all pioneer route very recently and whilst I wouldnt be as foolish as to say you cant buy better, I doubt you would regret having a pioneer threesome.

The LX71 amp can now be had for aound £1100 and the VSX-LX52 for about £950. I reckon both would be a great match for your Tv, especially the 71 (if you rack has the room).

The LX91 is an amazing blu-ray player but I doubt you would see the difference between that and say the 320, which I personally believe would be a much better match. If you can get a LX71 blu-ray player for less than a 320 then I'd auditiion that as well.

Yes the OPPO is getting some good reviews. As its only sold over the internet its down to whether you want to take the chance on it.

Let us know what you decide to do.

A

Anonymous

Hi barnsleydave, thanks for the reply.

You guessed the budget about right. Was going to go for the blu ray player first and then get amp and speakers later as I will need to sort out a decent cabinet(current unit would only accomodate the smallest of amps and an open rack is out of the question).

Not sure about going 5.1 or sticking to stereo as I live in a large open plan flat which has a double height ceiling above the living area and think I may struggle to get a decent 5.1 system that doesn't scare the neighbours.

My local dealer has promised to organise an audition of a few systems and hopefully a home trial of a few different speaker combos.

Will let you know how it goes !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts