Best Amplifier for tannoy Revolution DC6T

DJ-pressure

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys,

My Tannoys Revolution DC6T are on the way any day soon.

As in the title I would like to know your opinion which integrated amplifier would be the best to drive these Tannoy's?

Would my Pioneer A-400 be a good match, or I should get something better?

In review they matching these with Marantz PM6004.

When I've asked in store, I was told that Rega Brio-R could be a better match.

Please give me your thoughts. Stylisticly I much preffer Marantz. But how about Music? that's the most important.

Also Which speaker cables would be the best option for Me?

Thanks for Help

DJ-pressure

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Thank you Andy for your reply.

Unfortunately my budget wont stretch that far :/ ...

Will this mean that the Marantz or Rega wouldn't be a big upgrade from my A-400 ?

Also which speaker cable and termination will you advice?

At the moment I'm using a 99.9% oxygen free copper 762 strands (no brand) cable with no termination - but it just sounded better than chord carnival silver screen at a time to me( when paired with Onkyo tx-r506 ).

A

Anonymous

I have the Rega Brio-R and it's lovely with my DC6 T's

DJ-pressure

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
What cables?

The only reason of me thinking about Rega is that I can have it new for £300. Otherwise I wouldn't be thinking of it, as this is already over my budget at the moment.

DJ-pressure

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Which amplifier of these two?

I much preffer the looks of the Marantz + I can get matching cd player later on when I've got some saving.

Rega for £300 is a bargain.

But overall How big improvement would any of these two bring over my A-400 ???

A

Anonymous

Who knows? It's your own ears, your room and what you like ;)

DJ-pressure

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Flanners,

I reckon I will end up with the set as yours in hte near future.. apart from cd player model.. I'm happy with my Marantz.

Might I ask what speaker cables do you have?

DJ-pressure

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I've just received my Tannoy DC6T and got my A-400 to drive them.

Campared to my Jamo's the Tannoy's arent great. Bass aint that deep, there is lack of live in them, I appreciated my Jamo's much more. however some of the high frequency's seemed to appear in Tannoy's much more than in Jamo's. This still hasn't changed a fact that Tannoy's sound poorer.

Can you tell if that is because of the amp - A-400 is just not good with them? or My Jamos are that good?

If so, which amp up to 500note ( Rega brio R? , Marantz PM6004) can get the real lively sound from them?

A

Anonymous

How long have you been using them?

Give them a good spanking with some bass heavy music to loosen up the drive units and have another go (some will say to break in gently but I've never heard any driver manufacturer say this).

A

Anonymous

The Tannoys take a very long time to run-in. I wouldn't expect ex-display ones to be totally run-in. It took several weeks before my speakers lost the brittle mid range and the bass opened up. They are great speakers and personally I think that they have a decent level of bass. You've made the purchase now so I would give them some more time to see if the character changes, and then start thinking about amp upgrades. I think the NAD C352 works well with them and a used example would be within budget, but I don't know if it would be an imrovement over your A-400.

A

Anonymous

Hi, as I see from your DAC thread you're thinking of going down the Rega DAC route I would arrange a listening session with Rega DAC, Rega Brio-R and DC6Ts in your Hi-Fi dealer.

Rega's DAC and Brio-R work brilliantly together in my opinion but I would also take in your own amp to swap out with the Brio-R (and others) within the Rega DAC and DC6T test to see whether it's worth changing your amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts