Best amp with built in DAC for around £1500

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Any suggestions for integrated amp with built in DAC to partner monitor audio speakers and olive 03hd? £1500 or there abouts.

Thanks

John Duncan

Trouble is there aren't that many. The new primare would be a good call but frankly i think it's a bit dear. Personally i think i'd be looking at separate amps and dacs to get better value - eg a rega brio and dac might look quite nice side by side...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Keep an eye on the new Onkyo supposedly coming in at under £1500 - it's been designed as a downward extension of their Reference pre/power. We've had it in store putting it through it's paces a couple of months ago and it was more than happy driving KEF Reference 205/2's, which is pretty exceptional for a sub £3k amplifier!

DavidNorway

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I dont know if its avalible in the uk but try to hear the Hegel H70 it is a very nice bit of kit that has all the features you ask for, also its only a 1000 pounds.Have a look at hegel.com. Good luck with your search.

A

Anonymous

I would demo an xtz. d100 with built in DAC, It is a beast. Can run in class A up to 50watts, then Class A/B after that. I think it would really love to have a word with the Monitor Audios.

I think they do a no obligation 30 day trial. Worth a shot?

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
The Limey said:
I would demo an xtz. d100 with built in DAC, It is a beast. Can run in class A up to 50watts, then Class A/B after that. I think it would really love to have a word with the Monitor Audios. I think they do a no obligation 30 day trial. Worth a shot?

you beat me to it! very good amp and an absolute bargain IMO and yes, you get either a demo for 2-3 weeks or you get a new one on a one months trial.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
The Limey said:
Can run in class A up to 50watts, then Class A/B after that.

wrong. it outputs 50W in class A or you can switch to class A/B operation for 110W of output, in which case bias is set (I presume) at a very low output level. still, 50W is really all you need for normal listening levels even with highly dynamic music.

one more thing about XTZ amp. there's a guy here with this amp and AFAIK he preferred it in class A. obviously crossover distortion must show it's effect on musical signal in this amp.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Overdose said:
Another alternative would be the HK990, plenty of power on tap, like the XTZ.

I was going to suggest the Harman Kardon HK990 too. There is someone on that well known auction site selling them new for £649.99 incl Free P & P, which seems a really low price considering what everyone else is selling them for (£800-£1100).

A

Anonymous

Surprised no-one has mentioned the Cyrus 6XPd... Or even better, the 8XPd...

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Ben K. said:
Any suggestions for integrated amp with built in DAC to partner monitor audio speakers and olive 03hd? £1500 or there abouts. Thanks

I thought one of the "criticisms" of the Olive 3 was that it didn't have a digital output?

Yes it was but since then it has been reviewed again and now has a digital output

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
The Limey said:
Can run in class A up to 50watts, then Class A/B after that.

wrong. it outputs 50W in class A or you can switch to class A/B operation for 110W of output, in which case bias is set (I presume) at a very low output level. still, 50W is really all you need for normal listening levels even with highly dynamic music.

one more thing about XTZ amp. there's a guy here with this amp and AFAIK he preferred it in class A. obviously crossover distortion must show it's effect on musical signal in this amp.

I too prefer class A. It's worth noting that the limiting factor whether in class a or auto mode is the amps temperature, in class a the amp will switch to class a/b at 65 degrees while auto mode switches to class a/b at 55 degrees. I've personally never had it switch to a/b so does not really run that hot.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I will look into these suggestions. My eventual aim is to get a higher quality sound than my marantz cd6003. If I was to go down the route of amp + dac, what sort of price dac would I be looking at to better the cd6003?

A

Anonymous

I would also recommend the XTZ - it's really a bargain :)

But the new Primare is also really really sexy... It would be my choice, if my budget was higher than the XTZ

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I've heard Primare's i32 at Oxford Acoustics & was stunned by the quality of it sound. At £2.2k with the optional DAC yet to be announced (imminent) - we are probably talking around £2k7 to £3k. Primare's i22 with its DAC option has been quoted by WHF as being £1590. Both these amps are class D so won't heat your listening area & will be cheap to run!

A

Anonymous

Another vote for XTZ 100D3.

I just got one myself and I'm stunned.

busb said:
I've heard Primare's i32 at Oxford Acoustics & was stunned by the quality of it sound. At £2.2k with the optional DAC yet to be announced (imminent) - we are probably talking around £2k7 to £3k. Primare's i22 with its DAC option has been quoted by WHF as being £1590. Both these amps are class D so won't heat your listening area & will be cheap to run!

I also rated the i32, as I wrote at the time, here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/shows-manchester-2010-bristol-2011/what-impressed-you#comment-2584588

I'd definitely put its new baby brother on my listening shortlist. (I guess you mean Oxford Audio Consultants? Great dealer!)

A

Anonymous

I'd thumbs up the Peachtree Nova. Nicely made, quite wife friendly appearance. Also saves you a few bob.

HK990 is good but boy is it BIG. Nearly bought one until I realised it wouldn't physically fit in my equipment rack.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
nopiano said:
(I guess you mean Oxford Audio Consultants? Great dealer!)

My IQ must have dipped below a certain level for that paragraph :help:

Oxford Audio did strike me as being above average - certainly better than the rather unfriendly recent visit to a dealer in Bath - my girlfriend was in an eccentric frame of mind & requested a glass of water which was ignored. I stated I was interested in a new amp - they had Naim & Cyrus or Cyrus & Naim - I won't be returning!

As for OAC's demo, I heard MF's M6i: fair detail & smooth but too placid for my tastes. Next came a Naim Supernait - a lot more punch & pretty good sound. Lastly, Primare's i32 driving a pair of Sonus Fabers from a Naim CDP as were the 1st 2. I was stunned by the quality - dynamics were great & the level of detail was extraordinary but unforced top end with bass that was deep! I want one but it will have to wait well into next year.

bemaniac

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
The outlaw rr2150 I just got has a built in DAC, mine's USA with a stepdown but they made a few UK models for import but it would probably cost you £700-800 due to the rarety but you could always email outlaw if you like the look of the antique things.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts