Best amp for 2 * 6ohm speakers

dudload

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

First post, and i'm no Hi-fi- expert , so please go easy on me! :)

I've recently renovated my house and have wired in two sets of speakers (one at back one at front) - one floorstanding monitor rx6's and the other bookshelf rx2s. I seem to have a problem that my NAD C320 doesn't like being connected to the QEDSS22 serial speaker switch that i have - it keeps on shorting and i have to turn off for a while, I can only assume because its minimum impedance is 4 ohms.

Whilst i've had the NAD for 16 years, and it would pain me to part company, I was wondering if anyone could suggest a mid priced (up to £1k) amp that has dual speaker outputs and/or could handle a minimum impedance of 3 ohms.

Would love to stick to NAD if possible, but willing to look elsewhere!

Thanks,

Dudload

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
dudload said:
I should say, I never need to have both sets on at the same time - it's one or the other!

Hang on.......

If you are only using 1 pair of speakers at a time, the amp will only see the load of 1 pair of speakers, ie 6 ohms.

If your amp is switching off when driving one pair of speakers only, you either have a wiring fault or an amplifier that is on the way out.

dudload

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
That's what worries me - i've tried to ensure there's no crossover happening inside the QED device by insulating the gaps between the soldered connections.

Is there an alternative speaker selector switch that i could try (would have to be serial i assume)?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
dudload said:
That's what worries me - i've tried to ensure there's no crossover happening inside the QED device by insulating the gaps between the soldered connections.

Is there an alternative speaker selector switch that i could try (would have to be serial i assume)?

Take the switchbox out of the circuit, try direct connection to each speaker in turn to see what happens.

If the problem persists, try tempory speaker cables to see if there is an issue with you built in wiring, make sure that your amp is working properly is the first priority.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts