Best a/v receiver (LX53) setup for CD stereo playback

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps this falls between the HiFi and Home Cinema stools, but I am trying to get the best CD STEREO playback from my Cambridge Audio BD650 through my Pioneer LX53 receiver and B&W CM8 floorstanders.

At the moment, I have the 650 simultaneously linked in two ways to the amp: 1) via HDMI into the BD HDMI input on the amp (recommended by the manual), and 2) via analogue RCA to the analogue CD input on the amp (recommended by hifi purists?).

In this way, I can switch the amp input easily between hdmi and analogue via the amp remote control input selector, depending on whether I am using the CA 650 for blu-ray, or SACD, or Stereo CD.

What should be better route for CD Stereo playback - analogue or HDMI?

Secondly, if I use the analogue inputs...should I go for the "Analogue Direct" pure setting on the Pioneer amp, which removes any amp processing or phase adjustment, or use the default "Stereo" setting that the amp offers?

I can't hear much (if any) difference between the HDMI and the default analogue stereo input, but using "Analogue Direct", my ears are hearing more bass and a fuller sound coming from the speakers. But having had to play live next to a drummers hi-hat and in front of lead guitarist's Marshall amp for quite a while ....my ears are perhaps not as reliable as they once were (can you hear that ringing too?).

I want to hear what the recording artist wants me to hear - any thoughts/advice most welcome.

A

Anonymous

You have a nice setup. Do you only use it for stereo or for HT too?

I think you already know the answers. If you can't hear a difference between the analogue or HDMI inputs, then it doesn't matter which one you choose. If I was in that situation, I'd go HDMI purely for 'neater' cable management.

For stereo, I always find the 'direct' a lot nicer to listen to. Going through the processors colours the sound, so choose direct if you can.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, yes I have an excellent Sony HD projector and 1.8m wide screen for the HT.

But I got the Cambridge and the CM8s so that I could really get more from my CD in stereo (and SACD collection).

For once, with the CM8s, I chose without the benefit of a WHFSV review - promised for Jan issue but no sign yet.

Having been through production of our own album, which was finished off in a studio equipped with B&W 801s etc, perhaps what the recording artist hears before pressing the print button may be unreproducable on all but the best home systems?

The "Analogue Direct" certainly seems to give me the most sound, and maybe volume/level will also come into play to hear differences between HDMI and standard analogue. Cranking up the volume on those rare weekend moments when the rest of the household have gone shopping might be when I can really hear any differences.

Or maybe my choice of HDMI cable is the best colour (blue I think) for stereo sound :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts