Best 5.1 system with front standing and wireless rear speakers?

karansaraf

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Just bought a 65" 4K TV.

The room I'm going to be putting it in (when I move into my new house next month) isn't very conducive to being able to run wires to the rear speakers in a 5.1 setup. So I'm looking for a 5.1 system that has rear wireless speakers, as well as the front speakers being the tall/floor standing type.

What would you guys recommend as the best one?

Between £500-1000

Preferably with multiple HDMI inputs

Preferable with a Blu Ray player but not necessary

D

Deleted member 116933

karansaraf said:
Just bought a 65" 4K TV.

The room I'm going to be putting it in (when I move into my new house next month) isn't very conducive to being able to run wires to the rear speakers in a 5.1 setup. So I'm looking for a 5.1 system that has rear wireless speakers, as well as the front speakers being the tall/floor standing type.

What would you guys recommend as the best one?

Between £500-1000

Preferably with multiple HDMI inputs

Preferable with a Blu Ray player but not necessary

The only thing i can think of that will work out of the box like this would be a sonos Play bar and play speakers. But its missing the HDMI switching but has the upshot that it 4k compliant to a certain degree...... and would be over budget to buy all at once. But can be bought over time, But its a very neat solution and sound pretty nice to boot.

Hold off on the blu ray player for now and get a 4k player when they come out that way your only buying once.

Hope that helps a little!!!

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
One immediate question comes to mind: will you be using your system primarily for movies or will you be listening to 2-channel music too? What would be the approximate percentage split?

Here are some points to bear in mind:

I think you're going to struggle to tick all your boxes (at all), but particularly with your budget and presumably your quest would include genuinely 4K ready components.

Once you limit yourself to wireless rear speakers, there are very few options indeed.

Budget floorstanding speakers tend to sound poor in many rooms, and sound even worse on the end of a budget AV receiver.

Depending on your responses to the initial question about how you intend to use the system, I would recommend forgetting rear speakers altogether and maximising your budget with a 3.1 system (front left, right, centre and subwoofer). Many newbies tend to like the look of floorstanding speakers and undertandably assume that bigger equals better, but generally speaking, for floorstanders to perform well they need even better quality amplification to prevent the bass from sounding bloated and overwhelming the entire frequency range and cheap floorstanders will probably sound poor regardless of the amplification. At the budget end, it's better for a subwoofer to handle the low frequencies (it will have its own amplification). I'd seriously consider looking at decent bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer. Maybe look at the Q Acoustics range.

The other issue is that normally you can stretch your budget by buying last year's components, but a lot of AV equipment is hitting a watershed this year when it comes to genuine 4K readiness: most of last year's discounted models aren't really 4K ready even though some of them had "4k" labels on. (The actual 4k standard hadn't been completely agreed upon until after many AV receivers had been released).

4K Bluray players don't exist yet and the merits of 4K streaming are still very limited in content and their quality (unless you have a very high-end wifi speed) is debatable.

If you want an AV receiver that's 4K compliant, look for the HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 spec, but that will limit you to receivers that have been released very recently (or haven't been released just yet by some competitors), so the prices will be at their pre-discount peak, which doesn't help your budget much.

Personally if I was in your shoes, I'd be inclined to wait a while until the market settles down a bit.

naughty573

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
why would you say you cannot run cables to your rears

IMHO you can run cables in any room - just find some good trunking that you can mount on the walls and these will hide any cables - i have loads of this stuff running around all over the place and it hides my ethernet wires and also all the multiroom cables as well as all my surround cables

heres a picture to give you an idea what im talking about

passagetrunking_zps9871037a.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts