Beresford Caiman Advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just got it, it is pretty sweet. I will order HD650's soon.

My PC has a coaxial, should I use that or USB? My PC has optical as well, but that is being used. What is best? USB, Coaxial, or USB. I can free the Optical if you want.

Please help, thanks :)

A

Anonymous

Coaxial does not? How do I know if the USB is bypassing the internal sound card?

bernasmeister

May 1, 2009
Visit site
I use USB on the caiman and it sounds great with no problems (works as soundcard). But some say optical is the best way of connecting to a PC (less interference). My laptop doesn't have an optical output, so can't really say. Perhaps you can try and let us know!
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Sounds great! So to be clear, optical and USB bypass the soundcard, coaxial doesn't?

bernasmeister

May 1, 2009
Visit site
ajharris:How do I know if the USB is bypassing the internal sound card?

If no sound comes out of the laptop speakers (only via the caiman) - if desktop: no sound coming out of the soundcard outputs.

bernasmeister

May 1, 2009
Visit site
ajharris:(...) optical and USB bypass the soundcard, coaxial doesn't?

I would say USB definitely by-passes the soundcard. I don't think optical/coax does since you should be getting these outputs from the soundcard... May the experts correct me if I'm wrong!

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i'd have thought that as long as you have bit perfect output, it doesn't matter if you go through the sound card - if it's bit perfect it means the soundcard isn't messing with it. i've found optical to have a small advantage in sound quality over usb, and as mentioned no noise issues.

A

Anonymous

Using a Mac, I don't know if a PC soundcard messes up digital stereo sound. It would surprise me if it did anyway.

What's important is this:

USB is limited to 'CD quality': 16bits, 48kHz.

S/PDIF, coaxial or optical, allows 24bits, 96kHz signals.

So, if you intend to use FLAC files, USB is not a good option.

(There's some DACs that allows 24bits over USB, and some that only allows 16bits over optical -- but the Caiman is not one of those.)

USB and coaxial uses metal cables that might introduce electrical noise from your computer into your sound system.

Optical cables effectively insulate your hi-fi from electrical noise.

Thus, an optical cable is the best choice for connecting a computer to a DAC.

If you'll content with 'CD quality' sound, you might consider a wireless connection, like Apple's AirPort Express or Apple TV, or the slightly more expensive (and in my opinion less versatile) Logitech Sqeezebox. Apple's equipment don't have a coaxial output though; only optical.

And:

There's no way known to science digital cables can affect sound quality -- it either works, or it don't. Some people hear subtle differences with different cables -- but then some people also see elves and fairies...

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
I use a Caiman hooked up to my PC via USB. Sounds fantastic see thread "happy xmas to me"

USB cable was about £15 from Maplins with a couple of ferrite clamps on it again from Maplins @ approx £2 each.

Do not worry about bit rates and the fact USB is limited to CD quality as I assume that is what you ripped in the first place so you cannot improve on something that is not there in the first place.

Enjoy

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Not sure about some of this, though i stand to be corrected.

As long as you are sending a digital signal into your DAC (which of course you have to be in order for there to be any point having one) then, even if you are using your sound card, it should still make no difference as far as D>A conversion is concerned.

Now, i must admit the possibility of your card messing with your "bits" is a bit beyond me, but there is the Windows OS to consider too, where bit perfect is concerned.

I'm also not at all sure about playing FLACs being the same thing as talking about hi res files; it isnt. They may be in FLAC, but so might CD rips. You will be able to play FLACs regrdless of cable and DAC, far as i can tell. You just wont be able to play anything superior to CD quality with certain cables and DACs.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Fahnsen:There's no way known to science digital cables can affect sound quality -- it either works, or it don't. Some people hear subtle differences with different cables -- but then some people also see elves and fairies...

The "way known to science" is called Jitter, Fahnsen. It's not all-or-nothing as you would have people believe. There are nearly 3/4 of a million bits per second travelling along that cable (for 16/44.1). A few here or there missing or in the wrong order won't cause a huge gap, but it will change the sound.

Personally, I can't hear a difference between digital cables. But to say something as sweeping and technically inaccurate as you have, and to pass it off as gospel, is misleading.

A

Anonymous

My music is in AAC 256kbs from iTunes. Just ordered some HD650's. Will they sound good with my DAC and 650's???

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
They'll sound fine AJH - the old 128s were a bit lacking, but there isn't that much between 256k and lossless / CD.

Even 256Kbps MP3 can sound nice - After a thread on here highlighting it to me, I bought Neil Young's Harvest from Amazon for 69p (whole album!) and listening to it on my iPod Classic through my Sennheiser 280Pros was great.

A

Anonymous

Will the HD650's sound better through my DAC than my 3.5mm PC jack??

A

Anonymous

ajharris:Will the HD650's sound better through my DAC than my 3.5mm PC jack??

Undoubtably!

A

Anonymous

I am currently using some Beats by Dr. Dre through my DAC which are ok headphones and through the DAC, the bass is much firmer and the highs are far more prominent!

jcoops16

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Mr Beresford uses HD650s when setting up the headphone stage of the caiman so you should good synergy I would have thought.

Another point is does anyone know if the Caiman can do bit perfect 16/44.1 over usb?

A

Anonymous

Just got the HD650's. HOW AWESOME ARE THEY! So comfortable, could listen for hours on end!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts