Beresford Bushmaster DAC

vivcop

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

My first post on here so be gentle with me!

Just upgraded my system to a Marantz PM6004 amp with Mission Audio BX2's. Will be playing all music via an airport express and have been reading that a seperate DAC is recommeded (will probably also connect the TV to). Budget of £200 max and am considering the Beresford Bushmaster. Also Dacmagic 100, Arcam Rlink etc.

Anyone got any advice on whether the Beresford would enhance this set up and comparisions to others in the £50-£200 price bracket? Am a little nervous on this as most recommendations via formums and not seen any "official" reviews.

Also assuming I go for the DAC advise on interconnects Airport-DAC and DAC-AMP?

Am also getting Chord Leyline 2 speaker cable with the amp/speaker package, would an upgrade here also be worthwhile?

Excuse the multiple questions but any advice much appreciated.

Viv.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
An Airport Express + DAC for £200 is getting very close to the price of a Marantz NA7004 network streamer that has AirPlay built in already along with a DAC and an FM/DAB tuner (and it matches your PM6004).

A Marantz NA7004 is now around £300.

vivcop

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I think that the NA7004 needs to be plugged into the LAN as has no wi-fi. This is a deal breaker for me as my internet connection/router is in the hall not same room as the hi-fi. Would probably need an airport to feed into it so becomes an expensive option. Thanks for the suggestion though as would have been nice to match it up with the amp.

BMFDrums

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I can't comment on the alternatives, but I have a Bushmaster, and have been very pleased with it. It makes the sound much more 'natural' and less 'digital' than direct from the Airport Express, although it's not a HUGE difference - the DAC in the AE still works! I bought a Toslink cable from Beresford and a short Chord interconnect off the bay. Having resisted forums for ages, I posted earlier today on my views on decent cables (positive), but you need to strike a balance between cables and kit. It's pointless spending a fortune on cables if the kit is not up to the job, but my own experience has shown that cheap cables can 'strangle' decent kit. My advice would be to audition some from a decent shop and keep the one you like best.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I don't know the Bushmaster but I use the Beresford Caiman DAC. Fantastic DAC, warm sounds with lots of detail.

I'd love to hear more comments on the Bushmaster :)

BMFDrums

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
vivcop, I am trying to put this delicately (not something I'm renowned for!), so please don't take offence if I say something 'blunt'.

For me, it was worth the money, but my DAC is feeding what I (politley) suggest is a 'higher-spec' system than yours - Audiolab 8000S/8000P bi-amped into AE109 speakers (old, but still fantastic, especially with the additional bass control that a dedicated power amp brings). As has been mentioned above, the sound is definitely 'warmer' than the AE alone, and a sound that I prefer. As I alluded to previously, it's a not a 'night-and-day' difference - it's more subtle than that.

So, on the basis that I spent approx. 1/3 of the cost of my amps on the DAC (both amps were second-hand, and would be closer to ~£1,500 new) , it was definitely worth it for me. You are (potentially) about to spend approx 2/3 of the cost of your amp on a DAC - only you will be able to decide whether it's worth the extra money.

I don't recall what the Beresford returns policy is, but if you can, buy it and try it at home. For me, there is no substitute to trying the gear you want to buy in the place that you will be using it. If you like it, keep it. If you don't, don't.

I hope this helps, and that you find what you're looking for...

theadmans

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
I too have a Bushmaster which I use with my Squeezebox Touch.

When auditioning the Bushmaster I compared it against the much more expensive Audiolab MDAC.

For me the Bushmaster was superior to the MDAC which is remarkable given the price difference. The more I live with the Bushmaster the better it gets - this is definately one of those products where burn-in seems to be a factor.

I have recently bought the £30 S-Booster from Mark Grant which seems to have further improved the sound for a very small outlay.

BTW I can confirm that Hi-Fi Choice Magazine gave the Bushmaster a 5 Star review in one of their recent editions.

vivcop

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
No offence taken this is pretty much exactly the nub of my question. I want an input that will get the best out of the amp and speakers I will be getting, if the AE will do this then no need for a DAC but if a DAC would improve the set up then I would like to invest. Essentially is the AE a weak link in the set up or providing an input which is as good as the amp/speakers are able to deal with. Reading comments and reviews posted so far am very tempted to go for it.

BMFDrums

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I suggest that the Bushmaster would be a better source than the AE direct, but your current system may not allow you to hear all that the DAC is doing. That said, if you ever 'upgraded' the rest of your system, then the DAC will able to really show you what it can do. If you have the money available, then it could be viewed as a wise long-term investment.

Hope that helps!

vivcop

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Ok great thanks appreciate all the comments. Have decided to try it out and see what happens. By the way been very impressed with stan at beresford so far - very helpful and quick delivery. Just waiting on an optical cable to have a listen.

fergi

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Just replaced my Caimen with a Bushmaster with Marantz PM 7001KI and Cd7001 and Quad 21s, big difference in sound, removed digital glair, sounds more like analogue but with the detail of digital, more textured and deeper base, more space arround instuments etc.. Just replaced power supply with 12 volt battery. Another big difference. I use a golf trolley 12v battery, lasts for ages between charges, and a lot cheaper than some of the recommended regulated power supplys at £400 plus.

Cheers Jim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts