Beogram TX2 - new pick-up?

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I have the above turntable, and I love it, but my pick-up is from around the 80's, so it needs a replacement. Is it possible to buy a new pick-up for this particular turntable? Preferably original.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The original cartridge is the MMC4, or other models from the B&O MMC range: this is no longer made, and new old stock examples sell for silly money. There's a company in the States called Soundsmith: it can supply its own SMMC4, a handmade replacement for the original, for $150 plus shipping.

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I use the MMC4.

Are there no local dealers in Europe, seems the price from soundsmith is so high that I will be punished by costums when it arrives.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, you will certainly have to pay duty and VAT, but I don't think the SMMC4 is expensive for a hand-built cartridge: the last B&O MMC4 I saw for sale was around the $500 mark.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:...the last B&O MMC4 I saw for sale was around the $500 mark.

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=BOMMC4

As Andrew said, the $150 SMMC4 option is excellent value in comparison to $499 for an original. (Which would attract far more duty and VAT bringing the total to $600+ easily).

If there were a European dealer distributing Sound-Smith products, then they would add on VAT & duty AND add their own margin too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts