Belt Wobble on Rega sub platter

Bod

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Hey,

So the new white belt arrived today for my Rega Plannar 2 to replace the stock one in time of a "bring a vinyl" party I'm hosting on friday.

I couldnt find any intructions on how to put it on properly so I figured it was straight forward, wrap it around the sub-platter then ease it over the pulley.

Now when I play it the belt moved up and down the sub-platter. It moves right up to the top so it touches the platter then rolls over and back down with an audiable pop at the belt twist back around.

It this normal? I never noticed it on the black belt, but then I never looked.

If it shouldn't be doing this what have I done wrong and how do I fit the belt correctly?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Bod said:
Hey,

So the new white belt arrived today for my Rega Plannar 2 to replace the stock one in time of a "bring a vinyl" party I'm hosting on friday.

I couldnt find any intructions on how to put it on properly so I figured it was straight forward, wrap it around the sub-platter then ease it over the pulley.

Now when I play it the belt moved up and down the sub-platter. It moves right up to the top so it touches the platter then rolls over and back down with an audiable pop at the belt twist back around.

It this normal? I never noticed it on the black belt, but then I never looked.

If it shouldn't be doing this what have I done wrong and how do I fit the belt correctly?

Should be straight forward . . . ? Put it on like a bike chain, round the small pully and tension it round the sup platter as you turn the sub platter, as simple as that . . . :?

CJSF

Bod

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Yup thats pretty much what I did but the belt does not stay still on the sub-platter, tried twice but will try again. It doesn't slip off at least. I'm guessing that it shouldn't be moving up and down the sub-platter in this way while it's spinning right? Searched the web but can't find any info on it just one thread on here where the belt was slipping off.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
You said you put it over the sub-platter first, did you try putting it over the pulley first?

That was my thinking The-Lhc, bike chain fashon, and as DandyCobolt sugests, doing it the other way might have introduces a twist, although i would think this would quickly come out or take the belt off altogether???

Do the sub platter and drive pulley run true?

CJSF

The usual problem of replacing something that works OK with something you have been told is even better?

If this belt is put on in the correct manner, on pulley first then on to subplatter it should not travel up and down as you describe.

Clean the belt by wiping with an e-cloth or the like and retry.

If it still does it send it back.

Bod

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Thank's for the advice. I found another thread where people had a similar problem. I took the belt off and coated it in talcum powder then put it on pully first, pulling it around the sub-platter as advised keeping it at level as possible and it is much better. There is still very slight movement (around half a milimetre) and it also seems to be sitting a little too high on the sub when playing at 33rpm (about 1.3 to 2mm from the top). I personally cant hear any sound issue but then my hearing is shot from years of punk gigs. Does anyone think this may have some affect on sound/speed?

If yes then it seems like the tighter band is pulling a bit too much on the motor pulley so they are not true as mentioned above, so this will require moving the position of the pulley slightly.

Other recomendations involved updading parts but I'm not willing to do that as I've banned myself from spending money on my system for the next year (when I'll buy a DAC).

As a side benefit the talc has made my turntable smell lovely. :-D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts