Behringer A500 - Volume Control

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I've picked up a cheap A500 to allow me to offload my Musical Fidelity M1 PWRs and still have music and early impressions are generally favourable.

I'm running the amp from my DAC/Pre-amp though wich means I have to levels of volume control (the preamp and the Behringer). I know a few people have run these amps before so I was wondering what is the 'right' way of managing the volume?

I've set both channel controls to the 12 o'clock position on the behringer and then using the preamp to go up/down from this point. Is that right or have I got it all wrong?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
No, your common sense approach is fine, keep the signal clear of noise at the low end and overload at the top.

Unless your dac/pre has a digital volume of course, in which case use that towards its maximum volume.

I set up active monitors from my computer in the same way, Spotify (digital) volume to maximum, turn up the speakers, using their rear mounted level control, to the maximum volume for normal use, then use the spotify control for normal adjustment.

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
You should be OK, plus it will be much easier than constantly fiddling with the A500's two gain potentiometers..

HOWEVER, it is recommended to turn both of them completely left when you turn the amp on or off (page 6 of the user manual).

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes, its digital control (MF M1 SDAC) so I'll turn up the volume to max, Behringer to moderate and then use the laptop to control volume.

I'm generally very impressed with the Behringer to say it only cost me £80.

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
JMac said:
I'm generally very impressed with the Behringer to say it only cost me £80.

It's ridiculously good for the price (a few other pro amps are slightly more expensive and very nice too).

Did you read this? http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Indeed. Its making me rethink my upgrade strategy. I had intended to sell the MF's and upgrade the amp but now I'm thinking use the money from the MF's and upgrade the speakers and then upgrade the amps at a later date! I could easily live with the Behringer for a while. Wonder what a couple of them in dual mono would be like...

No, I hadnt read that, will do now though.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I have seen these in a lot of applications, including studio monitoring. Twice the price of the Behringer it may be but that is still under £290.

https://www.studiospares.com/Studio-Gear/Power-Amplifiers/ART-SLA-2-Power-Amplifier_325810.htm?ne=AQAAAAMAAAAEA0FSVA==

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
With things like this and the Event Opals etc, it does make you wonder why we bother with 'audiophile' gear and not just go pro.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I have been championing the 'budget' active speaker as a fantastic low cost solution for some time, with partial success.

With so many people not bothering with 'traditional' dealers and buying online, there is no real difference buying from an online pro-audio dealer or an online hifi dealer.

Despite huge amounts of advice to the contrary, I lot of people are not listening before buying, so the 'cultural' differences between music/pro-audio dealers and hi-fi retailers becomes unimportant. The huge size of the 'pro-sumer' market means that good quality, 'everyday' products, Yamaha HS series speakers for instance, are remarkable value for money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts