Beginners set up

redgeorge

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
Apologies if this is in the wrong place, or has been done to death (i did search for other 'first' posts but ended up even more confused.

I recently received a Crosley Cruiser as a present as my first turntable, but have found in the last few weeks that brand new records often skip, and sound quality is lacking to say the least. The reviews i have seen of the product since pretty much back up the problems unfortunately.

I have been looking to buy a new system, but i have no understanding of the components needed, and have a budget of around 200-300 (student), which i have since realised is nothing compared to the price of some of the set ups i have seen. I am not looking for anything to be blowing my mind as the paper thin walls tend to limit the volume i can play music at. Any recommendations for a system (turntable,speakers/whatever else is needed) would be greatly appreciated.

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
For a beginners proper Hi-Fi set up you are going to need more that 200-300, sorry.

You will need an entry level Turntable like a Pro-jct Debut or Carbon, or a Rega RP1

Speakers, Wharfedale, Monitor Audio, Q acoustics ect...

An amplifier with a phono input, like Marantz PM5005. You could buy an amp from NAD, the 316BEE, but then you will need an external phono preamp. NAD sells one cheap. Not all amps these days have phono inputs built in anymore.

My sugesstion is to save about 700 pounds and then head over to a Hi-Fi shop. A simple entry level system such as this will give you so much better sound quality and more fun.

Welcome to the world of Hi-Fi.

iMark

The Crosley Cruiser and other cheapy 'record players' are horrible design with bad component and will actually damage your brand new records. The tonearms and cartridges of these 'players' are exceptionally bad.

I don't think you need to a budget of at least GBP 700. I think you can start enjoying records for a bit less but I recommend spending at least GBP 200 for a turntable like the Pro-Ject Essential. Then you need a decent stereo amp with a phono stage like the Denon PMA-520, available for around GBP 120. And on top of that a pair of speakers. I can't recommend any but I have heard good things about the Wharfedale Diamonds.

It's a shame that Hifi shops sell these cheapy 'record players'. They give Hifi a bad name.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
If you're budget's low, consider a second-hand set-up. It's certainly possible to get a reasonable starter hi-fi system within your budget, if you're prepared to hunt around.

Crispion

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi I think this is part of the fun with hi fi,starting off,and gradually improving as you go along,having said that i,m still using my old Pioneer turntable which I bought in "77", and still sounds great, I don't think I,m ever going to get a " Linn sonn deck" now so I,lol have to make do, but look on eBay there's some good bargains if you look, and you might get more for your money

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts