Beck - Morning Phase

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Just previewed and ordered Beck's latest album. Well worth a listen and I agree with the 5* reviews. It's good; even on first listen. Anyone else heard it?

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to hear it, particularly as the first half of Sea Change has some very strong tracks. I notice Sea Change is now available on Bluray Audio disc, which is tempting. I think it was originally mastered in hi-res as it had been released on SACD too.

It'll be interesting to see if Morning Phase is also available on BD audio.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Point taken, Alears.

Forgot about the music thread. However, just a quick mention of Midlake's new album - Antiphon. Another one worth a listen with a hint of 70s/80s prog for good measure! Enjoy. :)

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Bizarrely,said album was just about to come on for first time last night just as I was reading this thread. I got about a third through before falling asleep,but sounded very good.pretty much impossible to be actually better than sea change tho. I'd love ke to chirp in with another recommendation, mellow minimalist music.....Sun kill moon - Benji. Great album. Also heard Lana del rays yesterday for first time...brilliant album,and surely lorde's main inspiration.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
radiorog said:
Bizarrely,said album was just about to come on for first time last night just as I was reading this thread. I got about a third through before falling asleep,but sounded very good.pretty much impossible to be actually better than sea change tho. I'd love ke to chirp in with another recommendation, mellow minimalist music.....Sun kill moon - Benji. Great album. Also heard Lana del rays yesterday for first time...brilliant album,and surely lorde's main inspiration.

Lorde might even pip Lana for me.......brilliant album, and on some tracks it sounds so much like Lana.

PS Where is the music thread?

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Think the music thread is : 'this week, I've mostly been listening to / watching' but may be wrong. If it is, then it's buried low down the list and mixes music with film/tv. Personally, think that music should stand alone and have a higher priority but that's just an opinion :)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
radiorog said:

If you're interested in that kind of music, feel free to drop into my blog and see if there's anything there that you like.. a few other forum members quite enjoy it..

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Pedro2 said:
Think the music thread is : 'this week, I've mostly been listening to / watching' but may be wrong. If it is, then it's buried low down the list and mixes music with film/tv. Personally, think that music should stand alone and have a higher priority but that's just an opinion :)

Well I did not even know it existed so I agree

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Cheers mate (is it Mac?) I shall check it out.

Heard the new beck one now in entirity,and good,but I'm currently listening to sea change,and don't think it has lost Its crown.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
radiorog said:

Heard the new beck one now in entirity,and good,but I'm currently listening to sea change,and don't think it has lost Its crown.

Yes it's Mac and no probs... you do need to register to access full music content and comment if you wish, but don't worry it's totally free... just trying to spread the word of real music!

smiley-smile.gif

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
radiorog said:

Agree, but the production seems to be better on the new album.

bellyshere

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Morning Phase is wonderful and on a par with Seachange . You can really here Beck has had a bit of Nick Drake on recently. Whilst we are on about good stuff. Toy, Join the dots is bloody marvellous as well.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Womaz said:
Pedro2 said:

Well I did not even know it existed so I agree

I don't know if you have already found it but if not it is below . :)

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/this-week-i-have-mostly-been-listening-to-watching/what-are-you-listening-to?page=835#comment-2934408

matthewpiano

Pedro2 said:
Point taken, Alears.

Forgot about the music thread. However, just a quick mention of Midlake's new album - Antiphon. Another one worth a listen with a hint of 70s/80s prog for good measure! Enjoy. :)

Agreed. Antiphon is a good album, though for me it isn't as good as The Courage of Others which I still play very regularly.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Had a few listens to Morning Phase. I've been a long-time fan of Sea Change; the epic earlier tracks somewhat made up for it tailing off towards the end. But IMO, Morning Phase is a stronger album. Wave & Heart is a drum particular favourites, the latter's choral effect sounding mesmerising when I unleash it through all speakers.

Beck does seem open to & usefully conscious of hi-res, having released Sea Change on SACD & more recently Bluray Audio. Watch this space! And jolly well done Beck for such a good effort. Bravo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts