BBC Television Centre London Auction

A

Anderson

Guest
You can thank me later, it's on the mainland so no good to me as you're expected to arrange collection of items but some of you could do well from this.

http://www2.ppauctions.com/auction.php?id=115
 

simonlewis

New member
Apr 15, 2008
590
1
0
I think a lot of stuff would be for pro's and not your general hobbyist, i also noticed that general viewing is by appointment only but it dosen't say how to make an appointment not that i'm interested anyway.

i have a feeling that they are going to make a lot of money on this that they can then waste it on a public service that people like me have know interest in.
 

The_Lhc

New member
Oct 16, 2008
1,175
1
0
simonlewis said:
i have a feeling that they are going to make a lot of money on this
A lot? They have a budget in the billions, this lot will sell for buttons compared to that, a drop in the ocean.

that they can then waste it on a public service that people like me have know interest in.
You do understand that public service is a requirement of their charter right? And that "public" means ALL the public, not just you, right?
 

Cofnchtr

Well-known member
Oct 4, 2007
146
0
18,590
Hi,

On a closely related matter, I'm sure I heard Chris Evans mention on his breakfast show yesterday morning that the Beeb were going to be hiring the old building back from the new owners...not sure if he meant all of it or some of it....wouldn't it have been a better use of public money to keep the building and not sell then rehire?

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.
 

robjcooper

Well-known member
Sep 29, 2008
61
0
18,540
simonlewis said:
I think a lot of stuff would be for pro's and not your general hobbyist, i also noticed that general viewing is by appointment only but it dosen't say how to make an appointment not that i'm interested anyway.

i have a feeling that they are going to make a lot of money on this that they can then waste it on a public service that people like me have know interest in.
simon, the majority of stuff on that listing is from the days of SD and analogue switching and has probably been kept in storage since it was decommissioned when they went to an all digital infrastructure.

If they make money out of anything, it will be the classic microphones they have on offer, some of the audio gear, but most probably the selection of Herman Miller and Vitra furniture. Also don't forget, the BBC engineering department were behind some of the major technological advances in both television and radio we all enjoy today.
 

ranhoacido

New member
Jun 4, 2014
0
0
0
Hi, this is my first post around here, normally I am just searching for good tips but this one striked me as very interesting. I just don't understand how the auction is gonna be. Is it online or do you have to go personally to the site and place a bid? Another question is, the bidding is for individual stuff or as a lot? Thank you
 

robjcooper

Well-known member
Sep 29, 2008
61
0
18,540
ranhoacido said:
Hi, this is my first post around here, normally I am just searching for good tips but this one striked me as very interesting. I just don't understand how the auction is gonna be. Is it online or do you have to go personally to the site and place a bid? Another question is, the bidding is for individual stuff or as a lot? Thank you
Try contacting the company who are running the auction.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts