BBC HD Observations

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Hello all,

Was over a friends house on the weekend, hes just bought a Humax Freesat box. I was interested to have a look at BBC HD and was suprised to find the quality to be extremely variable. First thing I saw was some ColdPlay outside event in the front of the BBC TV Centre. This was pretty good, could see all of Jo whileys wrinkles as she interviewed them!

later on I then watched a bit of Bone crunchers/finders/kickers, whatever its called. This was actually really bad. I couldnt see any difference that would make me think it was High Def, also there was a high amount of noise on screen.

So my question is, has anyone else noticed this vast difference between programmes, and does anyone have an explanation?

Cheers

James.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
In my experience the BBC HD material is usually pretty good, but I'm watching in Virgin's V+ cable system, not Freesat. The quality of the broadcasts will of course depend to some extent on the quality of the original material, the type of HD cameras used, the bit-rates used for transmission and so on - Planet Earth, for example, is rarely less than stunning, and some so-called sitcoms such as Last of the Summer Wine look excellent, but I have occasionally seen programmes that don't look a great deal different from the SD transmissions.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Interesting point, the bit of BoneCrunchers I watched was certainly a dark scene. I just know if i watched it all the way through the noise would irritate me too much!

Still I think I am going to go for a Humax Freesat box, Ive never had sky, dont really watch enough TV for it so the one off payment seems like a winner. Whats the ITV HD content like? Anyone know?

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
fatboyslimfast:Erm, what ITV HD content?

At the moment, it's only very sporadic, and involves red-button-pressing to get to it...

I see! So when there is something on there, is it any good!?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
well this sounds good. so everything could be in hd and much of it could look not much better than sd anyway (ie not very good at all, compared to my stone age telly)...?

or will that change when the analogue signal goes, so the worse hd looks much better?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Alright, alright.........

Sorry John, no personal flame intended!!!

Just waiting for ITV/Freesat to get their finger out with respect to getting a separate channel on the EPG...

Then I can justify the cost of the box to the missus!

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Has ITV HD shown anything in HD apart from the EURO's???

As a SKY HD customer the fact FREESAT has ITV HD that currently I do not get on SKY (will eventually) the small amount of HD content on ITV HD is not exactly going to get SKY HD customers flocking over to FREESAT in their thousands now is it.
emotion-40.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
al7478:well this sounds good. so everything could be in hd and much of it could look not much better than sd anyway (ie not very good at all, compared to my stone age telly)...?

or will that change when the analogue signal goes, so the worse hd looks much better?

In my experience, the vast majority of HD TV content is a big step up in difference - sport, especially, but also movies, drama etc. And I don't just mean on my projector at home (believe me, any difference is clearly visible on an 80in screen) but when we've testing every size of TV here at work.

I've only encountered less-than-impressive HD TV content when:

a) It's a low-lit scene that hasn't been thoughtfully filmed: US production companies (maybe cos they've had more experience in HD) seem to be better at this, as it's not really an issue with, say, Lost or 24.

b) It's an 'HD' movie mastered from a poor-quality print (as opposed to being properly remastered for HD). See also comments in other threads re this situation with Blu-ray rush-releases.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
D.J.KRIME:
Has ITV HD shown anything in HD apart from the EURO's???

I think I saw a trail for that new Harley Street thing on Thursday nights with an HD logo on it...

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
al7478:well this sounds good. so everything could be in hd and much of it could look not much better than sd anyway (ie not very good at all, compared to my stone age telly)...?

In my experience, the vast majority of HD TV content is a big step up in difference - sport, especially, but also movies, drama etc. And I don't just mean on my projector at home (believe me, any difference is clearly visible on an 80in screen) but when we've testing every size of TV here at work.

a) It's a low-lit scene that hasn't been thoughtfully filmed: US production companies (maybe cos they've had more experience in HD) seem to be better at this, as it's not really an issue with, say, Lost or 24.

b) It's an 'HD' movie mastered from a poor-quality print (as opposed to being properly remastered for HD). See also comments in other threads re this situation with Blu-ray rush-releases.

More food for thought. Thanks.

Will/should there be any significant changes when the analogue signal goes? Sorry, not a very focused question lol! Due to knowing very little about the whole HD thing, tho your reply was quite comforting.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

Let's not forget how good or bad your screen is! I've seen Freesat BBC HD on my Dad's old 32 inch Sony LCD through component and it's very good. Not as good as my screen though using Sky HD. I would say that the BBC channel is one of the bankers as it's almost always showing good picture quality - the Euros was superb. "Lost" still has yet to be beaten on my screen for the best picture. When I watch it, I struggle to imagine how much better bluray can be (I still haven't witnessed it) and don't even go with the Super duper HD that the Japanese are designing (the article a few weeks back about the resolution that is 40(?) times better than 1080p!!!!).

A

Anonymous

I have a BT Vision box which upscales recorded SD to 1080i. Wild China is fantastic given the SD source and other broadcasts including ITV F1 are noticeably improved.

Harley Street on ITV HD and Bonekickers are a huge disappointment proving that a t*rd in sharp focus is still a t*rd..

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
FlyingScot:
I have a BT Vision box which upscales recorded SD to 1080i. Wild China is fantastic given the SD source and other broadcasts including ITV F1 are noticeably improved.

Harley Street on ITV HD and Bonekickers are a huge disappointment proving that a t*rd in sharp focus is still a t*rd..

Aye. Ya can't polish 'em, you know.

I tried once. Me mum was furious.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts