Batten down the hatches....

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
On a whim I decided to check my speakers screws/allen bolts for tightness,in most cases all that was needed was a "pinch" maybe 1/4 turn but the sub was a different matter with some needing a full turn or more. If you decide to do this be careful not to overtighten and risk "ringing" the bolt/screw.

idc

Basshound, have you noticed a difference in the sound, has it 'tightened'?
emotion-5.gif
Is the tightening back up the various screws reversing the 'burn in' for the speakers and sub?

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I`ve not actually listened yet but I`m sure the bass will be tighter ;-). My understanding is that speaker drivers should be seated as securely as possible to allow them to move air rather than the whole unit moving. I think speaker run/burn in refers to the materials in the drivers settling down as it is a mechanical process but I`m no expert or maybe you were just trying to spark another "heated debate" a la certain cable threads :)

idc

basshound:.......or maybe you were just trying to spark another "heated debate" a la certain cable threads :)

Promise you that is not the case, one raucous debate per weekend is enough.
emotion-11.gif

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I read about this - think it was in a stereophile review. The chap said its always the first thing he does before connecting the speakers up

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
idc:Basshound, have you noticed a difference in the sound, has it 'tightened'?
emotion-5.gif
Is the tightening back up the various screws reversing the 'burn in' for the speakers and sub?

Update
Tonight is the first chance I`ve had to listen at realistic volumes (wife away) and must say I`m impressed,put on Audioslave,not my usual fare, I was well pleased,admittedly this could be a placebo/Guinness effect (I`ve had a few) but didn`t think a 1ft cube could bring such joy into my life.Think I`m starting to listen again instead of analyse.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Peridically checking the tightness of driver fixings is a sensible bit of maintenance, but make sure you have the right sized tool for the job, and be careful - far too many speaker cones/domes have been trashed by a slip of the hand.

Also worth checking the tightness of the terminals on the rear of the speakers - you'd be surprised how many times I've been asked about strange noises from a speaker and it turns out to be loose terminals buzzing or jumper bars rattling.

idc

I like placebo with my drink as well. The combination is excellent. I am sure any hifi which gets a little mini service will sound better. So what if that is just down to removing potential problems and as you say, you go back to listening instead of analysing.

Andrew Everard:

Peridically checking the tightness of driver fixings is a sensible bit of maintenance, but make sure you have the right sized tool for the job, and be careful - far too many speaker cones/domes have been trashed by a slip of the hand.

Also worth checking the tightness of the terminals on the rear of the speakers - you'd be surprised how many times I've been asked about strange noises from a speaker and it turns out to be loose terminals buzzing or jumper bars rattling.

Andrew, if you don't have the right tools would a friendly dealer do it for you?

Andrew Everard:One can but ask, but it's really only a question of having the correct size of screwdriver/Allen key/torx driver, and they're hardly expensive...

Absolutely - I'll call Monitor Audio and ask them to send me the correct driver.

Will it make a sonic difference, I've had them 2 years so I would assume they have worked loose.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You probably don't need to call the manufacturer for the right tool - as long as you know the size of the fixing any good hardware or tool shop should have the right thing.

And yes, tightening up loose drivers can make a noticeable difference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts