Bassy speakers for Cambridge Audio CX A80 or 60

walvis

May 22, 2012
Visit site
I am planning to set up a HiFi system around either the new CX A80 or 60 Amp which I will use mainly for streaming and phono, but occasionally also to enhance my TVs sound. Not after an AV or surround system as the clear priority is music. So far I have made good experience with a simple somewhat older Yamaha AS500/Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 combo but that system is moving towards a family member so I am looking for a good speaker match. I do like a bassy sound and also usuelle connect two pairs of speakers to the A/B terminals to cover a room setup that consists of two semi separated areas. I sometimes switch but often use both at the same time e.g. when entertaining. Before auditioning - not exactly in an area with an abundance of shops - I wonder if there is some experience on speaker matching with this CA lineup?

Update: Looking at a budget of 500ish GBP/Pair and standmounts as the room does not work with floorstanders - even if I would love some ;-)

rainsoothe

Hi. Look at Q Acoustics 3050 or Concept 40, Monitor Audio Silver 8 or 10, B&W 683S2 or CM9 (the first type, S1 series), Martin Logan Motion 40 or Dynaudio Excite X34.

For standmounts, Monitor Audio Silver 2, Dynaudio Excite X14, B&W CM5 (first series again). To which you can later add a B&W ASW610 subwoofer if you feel it's lacking.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
One of Cambridge's strengths is timing, so I'd look for speakers that don't squander this quality. Just something to look out for when auditioning: if notes don't start and stop quickly, if your feet don't start tapping to any rhythm within a track and if percussion is lifeless and flat, then walk away from those speakers because they're killing the Cambridge.

I'd make sure you took some poorly produced music with you to audition though just to make sure its listenable. There is a balance to be had with my comments above. The Cambridge can be a little too honest and revealing at times.

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
You're probably all over this, but the Cambridge amps don't have phono stages like the Yamaha so if you haven't already got an external phono stage, you'll need to budget for one.

walvis

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reminder, I indeed didn't look into that but never used the Y's stage anyway and instead went for one of the Project Box stages.... still have that... worked well for me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts