Bass traps needed

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi
My hifi is in a 12' x 12' bedroom and the speakers are in corners around 18" from side and back walls.
I think bass traps would help tighten the bass up a little as there's a lot of empty space in the corners behind the speakers.
Any body using GIK Acoustics bass traps? Interested in the these as they look better than the
foam ones.
Any help appreciated.

Roksan Kandy K2 amp / Roksan Kandy K2 CD player / Dali Lektor 2 / Chord Chrimson Plus / Chord Carnival Silverscreen / Atacama Nexus 6 / Target Hifi stand.

mykspence

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have a couple that I use alongside some home made ones. IMO the bass trap thing is a bit like the mains conditioner thing, some people need them some don't. Your room dimensions aren't ideal so I think it'd be worth you taking advantage of GIK's free advice.

Robin, base is the foot or support for something, bass is the lower notes in music ;)

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks.

I've heard that square rooms are tricky for acoustics. Not sure what the science is behind it but will get some advice from GIK.

mykspence

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Sigh............ Here we go again.

Bass is a type of fish anawl , you forgot that one Mr Smart Bottom. :poke:

I didn't forget anything thank you, bass is many things, but as this is a hi fi forum I think it's safe to say that it refers to a musical term. I'm not aware that base is ever a musical term in any context? But maybe you know better Mr Smartyarse?

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I have Gik Acoustics bass traps. They have absolutely transformed the sound in my room. It's well worth using their advice service to work with them to get what you need. Highly recommended.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
+1 for GIK. Guess its my latest thing but I really think that room treatment is so very important yet ignored by so many inc WHF maybe. I have spent far more money on cables etc yet the improvements even with modest treatment is huge. Like most I am not keen on the 'studio' look for my lounge but modest and discrete units especially in small rooms are magical imo. I repeat ... get some rs60, rubber gloves and an old sheet. Bung it round yr lounge. Then buy some pro units unless yr diy skills allow I guess.

afterworks

May 15, 2012
Visit site
These things are very easy to make if you have the time?

Basstraps: Buy some RS60 1200x600x100mm packs of Rockwool/silk - you get packs of 5 for about £22. Chop each panel into equalateral triangles (the panel dimensions are naturally perfect for this). You'll get 3 triangles per panel. Then stack the triangles, floor to ceiling in each corner of the room. Cover with breathable material.

Generally speaking, DIY room acoustics is cheaper and just as, if not more effective for the money.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
afterworks said:
These things are very easy to make if you have the time?

Basstraps: Buy some RS60 1200x600x100mm packs of Rockwool/silk - you get packs of 5 for about £22. Chop each panel into equalateral triangles (the panel dimensions are naturally perfect for this). You'll get 3 triangles per panel. Then stack the triangles, floor to ceiling in each corner of the room. Cover with breathable material.

Generally speaking, DIY room acoustics is cheaper and just as, if not more effective for the money.

Nice idea an might give it a go. Can't figure how to get 3 equalateral triangles from the 1200mm x 600mm panel though.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
You should lok at my posts or take others advice. Those thinking it is voodoo 'like the cable debate' don't understand physics/acoustics. 4 large or 8 smaller triangles of rs60 as an experiment and then get commercial traps if you wish.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Although no expert I have researched a great deal and it seems foam is less effective for bass. I recon if using foam you may need to cover more area to get the same effect. Cheap.foam is no good. Experiment and find the way forward maybe.

sheggs

May 30, 2012
Visit site
danrv said:
The other option would be the foam type.

http://www.advancedacoustics-uk.com/Problem_Solved/Original_Bass_Trap.html

This would be less hassle and would look neat but would give the RS60 Rocksilk a go as long as it doesn't create any dust once installed.

A lot of people spray glue onto the rock wool and then cover it in fabric this ensures that none of the fibres then become airborn. As for dust once covered in a fabric definately won't create any

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok thanks.

GIK suggest their 244 bass trap for the room corners which would be the most effective I think. Other option is the Tri trap but this is more expensive.

Could have a go at a DIY but I don't think it the covering would look as neat.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Have gone for a pair of Advanced Acoustics 3ft foam corner bass traps.They look neat and have cleared up the slight boom I had before.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi

2 corners. The other 2 corners are unsuitable for traps so this is really the bare minimum of acoustic treatment. The bass is still deep but not boomy and the slight muddiness in the lower vocals has gone making them nice and clear.

Not sure whether the traps needs to be secured but at the moment they are just free standing.

TRENDING THREADS