bass management in stereo

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
In home theater we are often told of the importance of bass management to take the pressure off the main speakers trying to produce low frequencies and that a subwoofer and setting the main speakers to small makes the system sound cleaner, so why is this rarely/never done in stereo?

Can anyone tell me what capacitor i would need to buy to attenuate frequencies below 50/60hz, has to be capable of standing 200w. Thanks.

Used an eq to attenuate low bass and main speakers could be played much louder and hence could provide much more bass and the midrange sounded cleaner as the midbass unit was not overexcurting below its tuning point. However this is not practical as i need to run the sub aswell and it would mean the sub would not produce these frequencies.

A

Anonymous

dont know if these type of high pass filters exist, but the attenuation of low bass could be done at the rca level between the sub full range output and the amp input (rca to rca connection). hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

noogle

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Isn't there something wrong if the bass drivers in the main speakers are out of control? I thought the cabinet/port tuning was supposed to prevent this, and the amp should be able to deliver enough current to get a grip on the drivers?

In general I think it's pretty hard to get a subwoofer that integrates well in a hi-fi system - although I was pretty impressed with the (expensive) Wilson Benesch setup at the Bristol show.

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
hi, a friend of mine has an EQ which has like a pass through for a sub... so the eq only effects the signal being passed to the amp and main speakers. the active sub is connected to the EQ directly. i'll try find out today what model it is, i'm sure it was a fairly cheap one too.

like you he plays his system LOUD so cuts the lowest bass to the main speakers :) note with this set up he needs some sort of volume control before the signal reaches the EQ, his dj mixer does the trick

A

Anonymous

noogle:
Isn't there something wrong if the bass drivers in the main speakers are out of control? I thought the cabinet/port tuning was supposed to prevent this, and the amp should be able to deliver enough current to get a grip on the drivers?

In general I think it's pretty hard to get a subwoofer that integrates well in a hi-fi system - although I was pretty impressed with the (expensive) Wilson Benesch setup at the Bristol show.

We're talking cross purposes here I think, if I had £6000 to drop on subs, I'd build a line array of 20 fi q 18inch drivers powered by some massive pro audio amps, it wouldnt sound like a wilson taurus but I'd be able to hit 140db at 20hz with sealed enclosures.

As regards the overexcursion, its just mathematics, below tuning frequency the enclosure has little/no damping. I think I may abuse my speakers a little more than you do in terms of volume...

A

Anonymous

Healthe trim reviews lymphadenectomy rigor Black men health pharmacological merogenetic Health bill details intumescence Appetizer Health coaching motile tenotomist

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts