Bass and vinyl

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Why is it digital formats can't replicate that gorgeous bass you get from vinyl? I'm listening to Neil Young and I love the hard "duff duff duff" that gets you in the gut bass compared to the "dush dush dush" you get from CD?

To get the "duff duff" sound I mean put the tip of your tongue on the top of your mouth and say "duff" as quick and as loud as you can.

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
emotion-2.gif
digital cooked in a micro wave. vinyl cooked in an oven....no contest.........

idc

Well I am presently enjoying the Kings of Leon, at very low volume through my ipod (EQ on jazz) and my Sounddock. The bass is crisp, full and clear. It pours out the dock and rolls across the cabinet at me. 'The Runner' sounds amazing, each bass guitar note sounds fully formed, the bass drum kicks in sweetly and it all so tight and resonant. Digital can do it.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
In a few years time when i-pods are at a saturation point (are we there now?), it'll only take one teenager to hear an LP somewhere, and there'll be a worldwide resurgance of vinyl, and a load of us old fogies, and not quite so old fogies, repeating with massive contentment - "we told you so"
emotion-2.gif

I've been collecting vinyl for a while now with a view to getting a turntable again, once I'd got a 2 channel system back, and I'm quite4 interested in the Clearaudio Bluemotion......mmmmmmm
emotion-1.gif

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
I bought a project genie and although I like the sound- it does not compare with my current cd player. I will eventually get the project experience x-pack...a lovel deck! so with my genie, I think I am missing the true magic of vinyl!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:I've been collecting vinyl for a while now with a view to getting a turntable again, once I'd got a 2 channel system back, and I'm quite4 interested in the Clearaudio Bluemotion......mmmmmmm
emotion-1.gif

I seriously considered the Bluemotion about a year ago when the whole TT/arm/MM cart package was around £800 (ish)

Now the Bluemotion + arm + cart is £1275 and another £170 for a lid.

I think a 'tricked out' Rega P3-24 (high gloss blue version with TT-PSU bundle) and the optional tungsten counterweight - for about £50 extra - with Ortofon 2M Blue or Denon DL160 (to continue the blue theme) and a blue P3 mat would represent far better VFM right now.

T

the record spot

Catcher:
Why is it digital formats can't replicate that gorgeous bass you get from vinyl? I'm listening to Neil Young and I love the hard "duff duff duff" that gets you in the gut bass compared to the "dush dush dush" you get from CD?

To get the "duff duff" sound I mean put the tip of your tongue on the top of your mouth and say "duff" as quick and as loud as you can.

Have to say it can, but it depends on what you listen, how well it's been mastered and not been thoroughly overrcooked to death by excessive EQ and compression. You might find some original copies of albums neatly marked AAD are a bit of a surprise/revelation.

Came across an original copy of "The Yes Album" last weekend and it's stunning. Arguably slightly cleaner than the German vinyl copy I've had (which in itself is pretty special) and rest assured, it does bass. That's just one of many examples of late.

Tip: try to get to know the names of the mastering guys on the albums you like; I've found people like Joe Gastwirt, Bernie Grundman, Bob Ludwig (for the most part) and Steve Hoffman tend to have the right idea (i.e. minimal screwing around).

idc

Or use the bass enhancer EQ setting on your ipod for a truely deep down low experience..........................we should look to the youth for our future and salvation, they are after all going to carry the debts and resource scarcity that has been caused by our greed..........sorry, thought I was on Question Time for a moment.

I am afraid with the muddy, thumping bass many young 'uns are used to when they go out clubbing, they may find our kind of bass a bit 'light'.

SteveR750

I never thought I'd admit this ever, but.....deep breath....I marginally prefer the overall sound of the Cyrus CD player over my venerable Linn/Ittok/Goldring. OK the rest of the systme might be a limiting factor, but its the same for both sources. The Linn simply doesnt go deep enough and have quite the same amount of slam that CD does.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
When was the last time you had your turntable serviced? (LP12?) If an LP12 is in need of a service or is set up incorrectly, it's not going to be performing anywhere near enough to it's full capabilities. They're damn fussy T/T's!! But I can't see any reason why your turntable's bass isn't outperforming the Cyrus player......

SteveR750

FrankHarveyHiFi:When was the last time you had your turntable serviced? (LP12?) If an LP12 is in need of a service or is set up incorrectly, it's not going to be performing anywhere near enough to it's full capabilities. They're damn fussy T/T's!! But I can't see any reason why your turntable's bass isn't outperforming the Cyrus player......

It was fully serviced about 3 years ago by audio excellence in Cardiff. It still bounces vertically, i.e. doesnt rock side to side when you gently depress and release the spindle, the armboard sits perfectly level in relation to the plinth, the Ittok bearings are still nice and loose. I havent used it a great deal in that time, and its not been moved. I'm pretty sure that it sounds the same as it did after I had it done. There is nowhere near the same depth to the Linn, but that might be because of the age and quality of a large numer of my LP's. That said, I do have a few that I have oin both vinyl and CD, and the CD player (even my old NAD) had a much firmer and extended bottom end than the Linn. I guess i didn't really have it in the ideal position, sat on top of a pine MFI cabinet!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Linn springs tend to deteriorate even when not used, and Linn used to recommend a yearly service for optimum performance. Ant deterioration in performance would normally go unnoticed, as it is a gradual thing. ANd yes, an MFI chipboard cabinet isn't ideal....
emotion-2.gif

Also, for the Linn 'bouncy' thing, you need to gently tap the right hand side of the spindle
emotion-1.gif

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
How do you know if your cartridge is damanged or not. I just put my Rega P5 together but forgot that the lever was in the down postion when placeing over my vinyl and of course i let it down not hard mind you but not as soft with the lever letting it sit. I dont know with all the playing I have done now that its broke in, but the treble is gone and not as loud as it was new.

SteveR750

FrankHarveyHiFi:
The Linn springs tend to deteriorate even when not used, and Linn used to recommend a yearly service for optimum performance. Ant deterioration in performance would normally go unnoticed, as it is a gradual thing. ANd yes, an MFI chipboard cabinet isn't ideal....
emotion-2.gif

Also, for the Linn 'bouncy' thing, you need to gently tap the right hand side of the spindle
emotion-1.gif

And what about when there is a full moon..??
emotion-4.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts