Basic question on 5.1 setup - sorry!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am slightly confused on 5.1 surrond speaker location and I apolgise now if it's a daft question....

I always thought the surround pair should be placed behind you but I see in the Denon AVR-2310 manual that they show them either side of the seating position and only in 7.1 do they place speakers behind. Is this correct?

Roger

nads

correct they are should be side positioned. many people make similar problems by connecting their surround speakers to the rear terminals and wonder why the auto set up does not work.
emotion-5.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Side-mounting in a 5.1 system is the ideal, but best if the speakers are designed to spread the sound along the side wall, as this gives a better sense of sound from behind and all around. Hence speaker designs like this:

KEF_iQ8DS_walnut_pair_1400.jpg

However, if using speakers with more conventional dispersion characteristics, such as ordinary bookshelf types, if may be preferable to have the speakers to the side and slightly behind the listening position, and toed-in toward it, as this should give a more immersive effect.

A

Anonymous

Ok - thanks Guys.

So should they be facing predominantly TOWARDS the TV, just slightly facing towards the seating position then? ie almost parallel to the side wall rather than at right angles to it (like the speakers above)?

R

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If you use bipole/dipole speakers like those above, they go on the side wall, with the big blank bit of wood aligned with your listening position and the drivers firing along the wall.

With conventional speakers, I'd use them angled in toward the listening position, and preferably a bit more behind than to the side.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
No, not quite. Andrew's advice (as usual) was correct. Your surround speaks should be pointing at your listening position, from a point very slightly behind you - probably mounted on the side wall, rather than the back wall, assuming your seat isn't hard up against it. You can see diagrams and read this in more detail on the Dolby Labs website:

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/speaker-setup-guide/index.html

A

Anonymous

Understood Andrew - another query sorted then!!

You guys are great - now all I need to do is convince Sky that the +HD box SD picture is rubbish (soft, blurry, looks out of focus) compared to the Freesat SD image in the Panasonic and I'll b sorted!

R

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
dingleastro:You guys are great - now all I need to do is convince Sky that the +HD box SD picture is rubbish (soft, blurry, looks out of focus) compared to the Freesat SD image in the Panasonic and I'll b sorted!

Let me guess, you've got the SkyHD box outputting 1080i instead of Auto?

TRENDING THREADS