Bank Holiday Fun: Turn your hi-fi into a home-cinema

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Stuck in the house because the weather's gloomy? Kids complaining they're bored? Want to have a little fun with your hi-fi? Well, why don't you turn your hi-fi into a home-cinema for the day!? First of all, if you've never tried hooking your TV and DVD player to your hi-fi, then you're missing out! So try it! Set your DVD player to virtual surround mode (yes they are quite impressive these days) and you will have near cinema experience from just two speakers! I did it yesterday and had fun in spades! You really do wonder why people buy 5.1 and 7.1 and certainly 9.1 systems!

A

Anonymous

Virtual surround is a sham, just a marketing ploy. Apart from the Yamaha soundbars, I've heard nothing credible. Listen to a dedicated home cinema set-up and then try to repeat your last sentence.

T

the record spot

Oh yes indeedy - did this with Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers a few years ago. Oh yes, two Mission floorstanders really kick some bahooky! To paraphrase a Phil Collins album title - No Sub Required! Sound was wonderfully clear (this was on a Toshiba player we'd picked up as a wedding present in 2002); no surround, no DTS, just straight through the Marantz KI-Sig listed below. Great fun!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hooking up your TV / DVD to your hi-fi really does make an improvement. But there's no way virtual surround processing can hold a candle to a true decent 5.1 system I'm afraid (let alone a 7.1 system). You're right though, it's good fun playing around with these things!

A

Anonymous

My DVD player (Harman Kardon DVD37) goes through a dCS DAC, Accuphase amp and Focal Diva utopia Be speakers. I don't miss my old 5.1 setup...

A

Anonymous

Agree with the Virtual surround being nonsense, I would even dispute the Yamaha soundbar. I've never not had my tele hooked into the Hifi, I use the Sony surround amp to run stereo on missions for tv, but use my totems on movies. (The new tube amp sounds brilliant on films.)

A

Anonymous

Well I have had my fair share of 5.1s over the years and I can defiently say that my virtual surround processing on my £80 Sony DVD player is very close to the real thing - however, you do need to have the speakers very well setup and you have to be sitting in just the right "sweet-spot".

A

Anonymous

I used to run mine on 2 speakers and it was pretty good, way better than the normal tv and great for on a budget. But yes I agree with some of the others that it could not hold a candle for the atmosphere a 5.1 or more can bring.

A

Anonymous

surely a dedicated 5.1 or 7.1 system is better. Does it not stand to reason that if a cd player heard through an av amp is inferior to using amp then it should work the other way round? I appreciate that the quality of sound from big guards louey fandango dogs danglies speakers and set up is amazing (as are many, many others) but better or as good as surround sound? Imo i dont think so, but it is only an opinion. Enjoy

A

Anonymous

Well I know 5.1 etc etc is better, but I was just suprised how good the virtual surround is...anyway hope you all had a good day! Bye!

A

Anonymous

It depends on the quality of the surround setup. I would rather watch a film and have good quality two channel than an average 5.1/7.1 system. A good 5.1 system (similar level of stuff to my two channel) is a different matter. Absolutely awesome!

John Duncan

[quote user="Hughes123"]Stuck in the house because the weather's gloomy? Kids complaining they're bored? Want to have a little fun with your hi-fi? Well, why don't you turn your hi-fi into a home-cinema for the day!?

First of all, if you've never tried hooking your TV and DVD player to your hi-fi, then you're missing out! So try it! Set your DVD player to virtual surround mode (yes they are quite impressive these days) and you will have near cinema experience from just two speakers! I did it yesterday and had fun in spades! You really do wonder why people buy 5.1 and 7.1 and certainly 9.1 systems![/quote]

I've got a better idea - since the weather was actually glorious, go to the pub from 12 till 3, then have more friends round for beer and fajitas till 9.

All it needed was some Filipino Twins to round it off.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts