Banana plugs vs bare cable

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Is there any benefit from getting banana plugs properly fitted to cable (such as the proper chord plugs, not just cheap screw on ones) other than ease of unplugging the cables later?

A shop once told me it stops oxidisation and degridation of sound that way, but is that just rubbish? Sevenoaks up here said there's not really much point in paying the extra (even though they'd have got the cash off me)

Since i'll just attach them to my amp, speakers and then leave them i was thinking it might just be extra expense.

Thanks for any advice.

A

Anonymous

I always use them because it ensures a secure connection. It's also easier to put them in and take them out, if nessisary. Controvertially, it does introduce another part of the circuit which has to be up to the levels of the wire, if not, the point of having expensive speaker cable is somewhat irrelivent.

On the whole, it doesn't make much difference if the bare wire is correctly fitted.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
fast eddie:Is there any benefit from getting banana plugs properly fitted to cable (such as the proper chord plugs, not just cheap screw on ones) other than ease of unplugging the cables later?

A shop once told me it stops oxidisation and degridation of sound that way, but is that just rubbish? Sevenoaks up here said there's not really much point in paying the extra (even though they'd have got the cash off me)

Since i'll just attach them to my amp, speakers and then leave them i was thinking it might just be extra expense.

Thanks for any advice.

Did you get the Epic, Fast Eddie?

I would use any banana plugs that are of half decent quality. They are a lot easier to play with and they do feel more secure. If I was buying brand new, I would pay for them to be fitted (unless it was silly money) but I've done my own recently and it's quite fulfilling to know you've done a decent job.

A

Anonymous

Sadly the 5m epic went for silly money and the 2m pair that finished yesterday got missed as I was driving back from Dunfermline after being convinced to go pick up a vivarium for my g/f

Looks like it'll be Odyssey 2 for me unless more epic comes up. Not having to buy interconnects now means I have more to spend.

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
If you're paying a fair bit for cable from a dealer it's nice to get plugs fitted - think I paid Sevenoaks £30 to fit 6 to £70's worth of silver micro bi-wire. If it's not crucial (such as for Home Cinema) then Maplin's 'Shark' gold banana plugs are £6 for 4 and a doddle to fit. They do make plugging and unplugging a lot easier.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
HDNumpty:If it's not crucial (such as for Home Cinema)
Sir, surely ye jest...
emotion-3.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts