Ban all +91 related messages to stop the crazy spam?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Xanderzdad said:
the same geographical local

PubCamdenTown.jpg

But seriously, can you even ban all posts from a particular part of the world, short of 'turning off' (ie banning) whole countries?

And even if you could, I'm sure WHSV wouldn't want to ban the whole of India – isn't there an Indian version of the magazine? Perhaps that's why this Indian spam is targeting the site?

Seems the only way to stop this is to for JD and his krafty krew of klandestine komrades to keep deleting these posts until whoever it is gets bored and goes and targets somone else.

Alternatively, get the WHSV India people to send the boys round...

John Duncan

We've been wrestling with this for a while, and nothing seems to be working. I've just added one particular word to the word filter, just in case they happen to read the results of their spam and see that it says "call now for EDITED help" and give up...

John Duncan

spiny norman said:
But seriously, can you even ban all posts from a particular part of the world, short of 'turning off' (ie banning) whole countries?

You can (we did it for Waterford once upon a time, IIRC), but it then does indeed ban people from that particular locale, which we don;t neceessarily want to do, for the reasons you mention.

spiny norman said:
Xanderzdad said:
the same geographical local

Seems the only way to stop this is to for JD and his krafty krew of klandestine komrades to keep deleting these posts until whoever it is gets bored and goes and targets somone else.

Indeed.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Xanderzdad said:
As per title - we seem to be flooded with this cr#p which I guess all originates from the same geographical local

Can we also ban all AVI spam, which I guess all originates from the same geographical locale! :grin:

Oh JJ, what a wit you are. Leading 'stand-ups' must be beating a path to your door.

:wave:

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Xanderzdad said:
As per title - we seem to be flooded with this cr#p which I guess all originates from the same geographical local

Just to clarify I meant ban all headers and content containing the phrase '+91' not ban content from a specific area. It just seemed that '+91' was a frequently occurring theme.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Ignoring JJBummer's troll, I would say a simple solution would be to ban links from users with less than (say) 20 posts, ban more than 1 post every 5 minutes (say) for users with less than 10 posts...etc.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
fr0g said:
Ignoring JJBummer's troll, I would say a simple solution would be to ban links from users with less than (say) 20 posts, ban more than 1 post every 5 minutes (say) for users with less than 10 posts...etc.

Good plan - introduce more and more rules and scare everyone off.

You're talking about a site that 's been designed so the staff can't even set the date of the current issue of the magazine right; what hope do you think there is for anything that sophisticated?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
No actually it's a good idea, but the current software probably doesn't allow it. There's several forums I'm a member of where you can't post links or pictures until you've made five or ten posts. It didn't scare me off, nor anyone else on there. People scared off by that tactic are only scared off because they want to be. So it seems like a great idea to me,.if it can be implemented with the current software.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
No actually it's a good idea, but the current software probably doesn't allow it. There's several forums I'm a member of where you can't post links or pictures until you've made five or ten posts. It didn't scare me off, nor anyone else on there. People scared off by that tactic are only scared off because they want to be. So it seems like a great idea to me,.if it can be implemented with the current software.

Agreed that some kind of 'behind the scenes' limiting would be a good idea, but I think JD has said in the past that the current forum software is sufficiently clunky that the best they can do is the current 'captcha' code.

And that of course manual spammers (as opposed to automated posting) can easily bypass. Mind you, compared to some forums I use, this one seems thankfully spam-light, which either means something secret is working well, or the klandestine krew is working its socks off.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
I'll second... that. But seriously folks, it's as annoying for us as it is for you that we keep getting these spam attacks, but we're all doing the best we can to keep it at bay and I can assure you the mods are all over it (as my email inbox will testify). The current site is, as we know, less than perfect in some respects but we've been fiddling around in the background tweaking everything we can.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:

+ 1.

And some forum only let you post in other thread if you post first in "new members" and introduce yourself.

daveh75

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
MajorFubar said:

+ 1.

That just encourages post count clocking.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
daveh75 said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
MajorFubar said:

+ 1.

That just encourages post count clocking.

+ 1

TRENDING THREADS