balanced output to Naim power amplifier

robreid

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
I've just upgraded my power amplifier to a naim Nap155xs, the thing is my pre amp is a cyrus DAC XP, I have a cheap rca to din cable but i have a very good set of balanced cables that I am contemplating terminating the power amp end with the 4 pin din the naim uses, has anyone tried this? I see XLR to RCA cables are common and RCA to DIN but not XLR to DIN?

Effectively the question is are the grounds on balanced left and right outputs common?

cheers, rob

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
robreid said:
I've just upgraded my power amplifier to a naim Nap155xs, the thing is my pre amp is a cyrus DAC XP, I have a cheap rca to din cable but i have a very good set of balanced cables that I am contemplating terminating the power amp end with the 4 pin din the naim uses, has anyone tried this? I see XLR to RCA cables are common and RCA to DIN but not XLR to DIN?

Effectively the question is are the grounds on balanced left and right outputs common?

cheers, rob

There is more going on with a balanced to unbalanced connection than the shape of the plug. To do the job properly and to match levels and impedence you need a balun.

Strictly speaking, balanced connections do not have a ground, as they float relative to the overall shield screen. If the Cyrus has standard single ended (RCA) outputs, use them rather than some home brew attempt to unbalance a balanced connection.

robreid

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, I hadn't considered the impedance, I just thought you could do this

xlr-rca-diagram.jpg

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Back in the good old days, this kind of circuit made some sense. Balanced audio connections were achieved using balancing transformers, and by grounding one leg of the transformer, an unbalanced link could be achieved. These days balanced outputs are achieved using inverting and non-inverting active drivers. In this case, all the circuit you have included has done is to short out the inverting driver in the amp. It will probably work, as the non inverting driver will still function, and with a bit of luck will produce a sensible signal relative to ground. Hardly much to recommend it though.

I am still struggling to understand why you dont just use the output designed for the job.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts