Bagged myself a Cyrus X Power

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Got myself an X Power on FleaBay and was wondering what would be the best way to go in connecting it with my set-up. As I understand it, I could simply use it as an upgrade for my 8vs2 or use the two as a bi-amp configuration. Anyone got experience of either of these options? Will obviously test it out once I've got my hands on it.

White Denim - Fits

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Sell/swap the 8VS2 and get a PreVS2. The pre power and x power combo is excellent. Otherwise id biamp with the xpower going to the bass and the 8vs2 to the treble.

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Shaxos. Also wondering about the AV Master - Cyrus website seems to suggest using that as a pre-amp or have I got it all wrong. No experience of pre/power combos.

Red Red Meat - Bunny Gets Paid

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
If i remember correctly you can use the av master as a stereo preamp but again its not its primary dedicated function and as such will not give you any better results than using the 8V2 as a pre IMO. However i must add i have not compared the stereo from the av pre to preVS2 but i will eat my hat if its better. I had demoed the 8vs2 vs prevs2 and 8 power. The latter is considerably more expensive but it is also better with a clearer sound. I wouldnt buy the cyrus av IF a stereo pre was my primary goal. And to be honest i wouldnt buy it as a av solution either as you would need to add more power amps for multi channel and with the price of that you might as well get a separate av amp that take all the latest imputs. Also i see cyrus have released some shiny new versions of the prevs2 but its a hell of a lot more expensive. Good luck with it all.

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Already have the AV Master - can't run to a Pre just yet but in the meantime is it worth using or best left out of the equation?

Dandy Warhols - Dandy's Rule OK!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi SHAXOS,

Congratulations on your new purchase. I'm sure that you're going to try all possible combinations when you receive the X-power and for my money the best results will come from using the 8VS2 and X-power in a bi-amp configuration.

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Took delivery of the aforementioned amp today and hooked it up in straight stereo. Only 20 minutes in and I am blown away by what this thing can do. I don't have the technical expertise to properly describe things, but first up is the immense additional weight from bass notes, yet the crack of snare and crash of cymbals at the same time is more to the fore as well; vocals, (which have never been that important for me being an ex-drummer!) are also so much clearer now, and so all this coupled with major added slam is making this music-nut a very happy bunny indeed. Even my faithful Dali's have got a smile on their faces!

Now all I've got to do is figure out how to bi-amp the whole mess to see what that results in. It's like a nest of vipers back there and I'm slowly acquiring enough bricks to star in my own Pink Floyd movie.

Wilco - The Album

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts