Back to vinyl

matthewpiano

Now I've finally settled on an amp and CD combination that really works for me and I'm enjoying my CDs very much, I'm ready to get back into playing vinyl again. I currently own a Pro-ject Debut III which, quite frankly, is pretty unimpressive. I have had some good turntables in the past including a Thorens TD150MkIIAB, Lenco GL75, Technics SL1210Mk2, and a Michell Tecnodec. Of these I liked the Michell the least but I don't think I ever actually did it justice with the partnering equipment. My favourite was the Thorens which, even with the stock arm and an old Shure cartridge sounded extremely musical and involving. The Lenco and Technics were also excellent if not quite as good as the Thorens overall. I'm looking to work towards a new vinyl front end to use with the A400 and Mission 751s, probably through my Cambridge 540P phono stage rather than the Pioneer's integrated one. I don't want to spend a lot of money at present but I'm not interested in any of the current budget decks. So, I have the following shortlist and would welcome any further thoughts, ideas and suggestions: Thorens - TD150 or TD160 Rega - Planar 2 or 3 Linn Basik Then, of course, there are the ARs, Systemdeks, Pink Triangles, and Revolvers of this world. Any recommendations very welcome.

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Ive never heard a Linn or a Rega but i use a Technics and have heard the 160 and thought it sounded great. Then again i liked the Michel when i heard it in Sevenoaks but it had a top notch valve pre amp.

matthewpiano

I've taken the immediate pressure off - realised I've still got a decent JVC JL-A1 belt-drive from the late 70s tucked away so I'll use that for a few weeks while I explore my options.

Still leaning towards a Thorens...

A

Anonymous

I went from a modified P2 to a Technics but now use an old suspended deck dating from the eighties. There's a fullness to the suspended decks of that era few modern decks can match.

The Rega is a good deck, and I wonder whether I should have persevered with my P2. They are fussy about positioning and are slightly more forward than the suspended variety and lacking their limpidity. Also harder to position, so unless you have a concrete floor a wall shelf is a must. The big plus is that you should be able to audition them.

The Thorens TD150, 160 or 12x decks are great and were heavily underrated in the UK. Now, unfortunately, prices seem to have shot up but they'd still be second on my list. First choice would be an LP12, but they cost more than my car now.

The other decks you mention are all good, plus the Ariston. Couldn't agree with you more about the Lenco. Always behind the classic Thorens decks.

If you end up with any of those decks you might want to think about a better phono amp. I have just bought a 640p which is shortly to be sold as it isn't as good as the phono amp it replaced. I'll be getting either a Lehmann black cube or a Clearaudio.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I've had a Thorens TD160 super which I think is a great deck when you consider the price you can pick one up for these days. The Rega range is excellent, I have one so I would say that
emotion-5.gif
, The Linn Basik is the one I would not bother with, I just do not think it is that good compared to the others in you list (I am not anti-Linn, I've owned several LP12's and I love them but just cannot afford at the moment) but the Basik is just that.

I agree with the previous comment about phono stages, I've got a 640p which is OK for the money but i will be looking to change shortly. I ran a TD160s through a Musical Fidelity KW phono stage which sounded stunning, I know this would be overkill but it does show what a decent stage can do with the signal it is fed.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:I'm ready to get back into playing vinyl again.

I currently own a Pro-ject Debut III which, quite frankly, is pretty unimpressive.

This is interesting, and quite possibly dangerous (for my wallet at least), I've got a Debut II, with built in phono stage that I'm playing through an old AV amp into equally old KEF speakers (I've changed the cartridge for a 2M Red) and I can't find much wrong with the way that sounds if I'm honest, so it really does make me wonder how much better things could get. What is that you don't like about the Debut III?

A

Anonymous

High noise floor, can't take mc cartridges, and I found sensitive to the slightest vibration. The arm isn't in the same class as those on the budget Regas, and I'd suggest the cartridge you have flatters it.

The Rega P1 and the P2 are much better decks at the budget end, and the P1 is fair bit cheaper to boot. Both Regas have full size platters, too.

A

Anonymous

Hi Matthew,

I had a Thorens TD-160. Very involving, warm sound. Worked well with my Micro Seiki cartridge. Also I think virtually unbreakable, but mine had a familiar Thorens problem: it started counter clockwise somettimes. Mostly harmless, but something to keep in the back of your mind to save your stylus.

Having said that, I exchanged it for a Genie 3 and I honestly can't fault the Project. Tight and musical in my opinion.

Lastly you might look at the older Duals. I've had a few and they were well built and good sounding TT's.

Jack

matthewpiano

Pretty much as Tarquinh said with regards to the Debut III.

Regarding the phono stage I do intend to upgrade this eventually as funds allow but will have to start off by using either the 540P or the Pioneer's internal stage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts