Back to the history - your first setup ever

Blainetoner

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
My aunt gave me her old Trio midi system with a set of KEF C20s.....so this would be my first proper system. The first system I bought on my own, was back in my student days, when I bought a Cambridge Audio A1 amp and a Sony CDPX510 to go with the KEFS.

A

Anonymous

My first setup : Teac integrated amp A-919, Teac V-530X cassette deck and Thorens TD-320 (mahogany) turntable with Ortofon MC-10, JBL studio monitors all connected with plain cables. There you go. :)

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
Sanyo multi disc player - can't remember name, held around 30 discs. Pioneer A-300x Amplifier and my gorgeously under-rated Eltax Symphony 6 floorstanders. Cable talk 3.2 speaker cables and Cambridge Audio Pacific interconnects.
Still got the Eltax's - can't bear to part with them even though I no longer use them. I remember buying a pair of Kef Concerto 1's a few years later and ended up passing them onto my Dad as I missed the sound of my Eltax's!

A

Anonymous

My first proper seperates...

Goodmans amp (cant remember the model but it was rubbish and although paying £100 for it initially, I still got £45 a couple of years later when I upgraded)

Aiwa tape deck (again, cant remember the number but it was fairly good and lasted a long time in fact if I remember rightly I gave it to my dad and it may still be alive)

Castle speakers that may have been nice in their day but when I acquired them, the drive units were shot with the outer ring of the drive unit totally perished

Encouraged me not to waste my money and save up for something a bit more upmarket
emotion-1.gif

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I had a number of Aiwa systems before i migrated over to seperate systems

My first 'separates system' was a pair of Acoustic Energy AE109's with an Arcam Alpha 6+ integrated amp and an Alpha 6 CDP along with QED Quenex1 interconnects and QED speaker cable.

It was a brilliant system and set me on my road spending far too much £££

Went from AE 109s to B&W 602 S2's them 602 S3's then onto B&W 603 S3's then swapped the Arcam Alpha 6 amp and CDP for an Arcam Alpha 8 integrated, power and CDP. All within the space of 16months!

A

Anonymous

JVC MX-J850R...superb thing it was! Dolby Pro-logic too! Got that when I was 8...after that I got my JVC A-X400 with my Arcam CD73 and Wharfedales plus a Bush MTT1.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Was given a Technics separates system (can't remember the model) by my granddad as a boy which gave me the bug. First one I bought was a Marantz PM-66E KI-Sig amp, Marantz CD-63 mk II KI-Sig CD player and a pair of Tannoy Mercury M3s (all of which I still have, though the amp packed up a while back).

A

Anonymous

technics cd player dont remenber the model ,kenwood ka3020 amp , eltax millenioum i think then got bose acustimas 5 now on stand by with my hi-fi untill i move out but i currently run tannoy eyris 2 floor standers with a advance acustic power amp and cambridge audio 540 cd and 640 amp as apre amp

T

the record spot

Yoiks! This goes back to about 1981 or so I think; prior to this we'd had everything from an old Dansette Viva, through to radiograms ("It's a hifi! It's an elegant piece of furniture!") and finally a couple of music centres. Finally, a trip to what was then Comet on Dalry Road in Edinburgh and my dad bought the following:-

Pioneer Receiver (can't recall the model number)
Pioneer CT4 cassette deck
Fisher turntable
Wharfedale Laser 60 speakers (which are still in working use)

Ah, the memories come flooding back!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="the record spot"]Yoiks! This goes back to about 1981 or so I think; prior to this we'd had everything from an old Dansette Viva, through to radiograms ("It's a hifi! It's an elegant piece of furniture!") and finally a couple of music centres. Finally, a trip to what was then Comet on Dalry Road in Edinburgh and my dad bought the following:-

Pioneer Receiver (can't recall the model number)
Pioneer CT4 cassette deck
Fisher turntable
Wharfedale Laser 60 speakers (which are still in working use)

Ah, the memories come flooding back![/quote]

That's my kind of system! Did you consider any alternatives? Wharfedale E series, JVC amplifier etc?

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Mine was in 1982 and was a Technics system, can't remember which one now but I bought a pair of Tannoy Mercury's with it. (I had just been made redundant and blew the lot on this) When I got it home I hung the speakers from my bedroom ceiling and I thought I had the world. (The thought of doing it now ????) My parents didn't like it though.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andy H"]Mine was in 1982 and was a Technics system, can't remember which one now but I bought a pair of Tannoy Mercury's with it. (I had just been made redundant and blew the lot on this) When I got it home I hung the speakers from my bedroom ceiling and I thought I had the world. (The thought of doing it now ????) My parents didn't like it though.[/quote]
Anything like these beasts?

Mercury-S.JPG

T

the record spot

Hughes 123:-

Can't remember now; it was very "showroom" being a mainly electrical store, but they had JVC and Panasonic - all the majors I think. They carried a good range of stock as I recall. We didn't demo any of it, but it sounded pretty good given how modest it all was. The amp lasted about 4 years and was replaced by a NAD 3020A, the tape deck was replaced by a very 80s looking Sony (but the peak level meters made up for it!) which also sounded good.

And we noticed a big difference alright; given it replaced a Sanyo music centre, we were in the big league!

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Similar, mine had wood veneer front and the driver was made from a milky coloured material.
OOOH the memories are flooding back. The long hair and denims. GREAT

A

Anonymous

Early Sixties

Dansette Major record player...Perdio Transistor Radio

Present

Audiolab 8000A / Arcam CD73 / Mission 752 / 160gig Ipod classic

A

Anonymous

Ah wow!

This is my JVC A-X400 (anybody know the year?):
2409870133_351e2897f7.jpg

And this is the best sounding vintage amp I have ever heard - JVC A-X5 from 1979-1982:
2284493080_f2b9f043f2.jpg

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
My first set-up:

Early 1980s, a Technics 'rack' system with turntable, cassette deck, tuner and amp bought from Dixons in Harrogate. Nice big speakers to go with it covered in dark mahogany vinyl wrap. Got it as a 'manager's special' discount when I saw it in the window during the January sale. Can't remember the model numbers, but was gutted when What Hi-Fi? (as it was then) gave it a two-star review a few months later!

A

Anonymous

I had a Sansui AU-117 amp which I loved.Was still using it up until last year.Also a Sansui record deck (I don't remember the model,I think it was something like SR-200),a dodgy Aiwa tape deck that kept breaking and a pair of Wharfdale Denton XP2's.

I think the record deck is still in my parents loft.....

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Back in 1979. Rotel ra314 amp, wharfedale linton xp2 speakers which blew tweeters like mad. Rotel turntable don't know model, toshiba tape deck and technics tuner which I still have and if put in with my system looks odd but outperforms current tuner by a long way.

A

Anonymous

Back in the '90s. Yamaha CT-800 integrated amp. 1991 Vintage Technics 5 disc carousel cd player. A Luxman dual cassette deck of indeterminate age, and two MONSTROUS Advance speakers from the early seventies. I've always wanted to know the model number of those but they had none marked.

A

Anonymous

Early 70s Thorens TD150 Ferrograph amp can't remember model Ditton15 speakers the ones with a passive bass driver.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Yamaha CDX100, Pioneer A400, Kenwood tuner and Celestion DL6 Series II speakers. Furukawa interconnects and speaker cable, and target speaker stands.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts