Back in the Market.....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've been out of the market for 10 years but used to run Roksan caspian Int, Caspian power amps, Copland CDA266, Siltech, Kimber, Silver sounds cables to Sonus Concerntinos, and then tri-amped to Epos ES22'S.

I have been looking again, and have noticed in the last 8 years Roksan has gone up by 50%!!!!.

Anyway as I am a novice again, and am looking for advice for a set up for 5k ish, and expecially the amp to speaker connection.

If you have time I would be very interested in people's full set up as I know how important cables, funiture can be and I think I went a bit wrong last time.

Maybe looking at full cyrus set up with either Dynaudio x32 / 220, Monitor Audio RS, Spender..but if there is better out there for the money please tell.....

Cheers Stew

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
stew31:
I've been out of the market for 10 years but used to run Roksan caspian Int, Caspian power amps, Copland CDA266, Siltech, Kimber, Silver sounds cables to Sonus Concerntinos, and then tri-amped to Epos ES22'S.

I have been looking again, and have noticed in the last 8 years Roksan has gone up by 50%!!!!.

Anyway as I am a novice again, and am looking for advice for a set up for 5k ish, and expecially the amp to speaker connection.

If you have time I would be very interested in people's full set up as I know how important cables, funiture can be and I think I went a bit wrong last time.

Maybe looking at full cyrus set up with either Dynaudio x32 / 220, Monitor Audio RS, Spender..but if there is better out there for the money please tell.....

Cheers Stew

I would check out the Monitor Audio GS20 speakers and if you like them take them home and buy the Cambridge Audio 840E pre and 840W power amps and the 840C cd player (you can use it as a DAC for other sources like your computer, tuner, Sky etc). You can test at home and take the CA kit back for a refund if you don't love it. That would be a great system for around just over £4k.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, I will have a look at the GS20'S. I see you have a lot of Chord...have you tried various cables and these have shone?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
stew31:Thanks, I will have a look at the GS20'S. I see you have a lot of Chord...have you tried various cables and these have shone?

For the money, I don't think Chord cables can be touched. I've not tried loads and loads but have checked out a fair few. The second hand price on Chord cables is excellent too, so if you wish to upgrade/downgrade, you can get much of your money back.

By the way, you say you've been out of the game for a while - don't let the name Cambridge Audio worry you. I know that they would have no kit to interest you 10 years ago but the 840 range is brilliant.

A

Anonymous

The Monitors are highly rated for detail, which suits. I appreciate what you are saying as Cambridge Audio when I left the scene were on par with Rotel. I will take a look at the 840 range and a local dealer supply's so I will have a listen.

Thanks for the info on Chord.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
stew31:
The Monitors are highly rated for detail, which suits. I appreciate what you are saying as Cambridge Audio when I left the scene were on par with Rotel. I will take a look at the 840 range and a local dealer supply's so I will have a listen.

Thanks for the info on Chord.

Have a read up of the reviews on the CA website too. I have the integrated 840A and the Monitor Audio RS6 and it's a very detailed powerful combo. The two box and gold range speakers will sound amazing.

A

Anonymous

Cheers, again highly rated amps & CD....will have a demo.

Anyone else with other ideas, I would like various options to consider??

A

Anonymous

5k in my pocket to spend on hifi and I'd be trying some of the following:

* Proac D1 (£1.4k) or possibly ex-demo or discounted Proac 1SC (£1k?) --> MF A5.5 or A1 amp and CDP pairings.
* Proac D1 or 1SC with a valve amp from Icon Audio --> Cyrus CD8SE?
* Spendor A5 (£1.5k) or A6 (£2k) --> Cyrus Prevs2, Xpower (check out Moorgate Acoustics for their killer deal on this pair at £1k) --> Cyrus CD8SE (£1.1k)
* Spendor A5 (£1.5k) or A6 (£2k) --> Musical Fidelity A5.5 amp and CDP (£1.6 each)
* Spendor A5 (£1.5k) or A6 (£2k) --> Primare I30 and matching CDP
* Spendor SA1 with decent sub if you prefer this route

Cables wise, I love Chord stuff, especially the Chameleon Silver Plus IC paired with Odyssey 2 or 4 speaker cable. These are silver plated copper and have the typical open and crisp sound. If you want a smoother sound, depending on the kit you decide upon, check out Kimber 4TC and 8TC. These are copper and allegedly very nice.

Just my thoughts.

A

Anonymous

Cheers, really like the look of this with the A6 and still 4.1k:

Spendor A5 (£1.5k) or A6 (£2k) --> Cyrus Prevs2, Xpower (check out Moorgate Acoustics for their killer deal on this pair at £1k) --> Cyrus CD8SE (£1.1k)

Can you add another x power to bi amp, or would it be more efficent to add a psx supply to the cd & current x power?

A

Anonymous

Yeah, AFAIK you can use another Xpower in mono and I suspect it would be very nice. Later you could add the PSX to the CDP or preamp for more detail resolution and lower noise floor. Apparently adding a PSX to the PreVS2 takes it from an OK pre to a good one.

Check out PhilAllen's thread too. Spendor A6 and Cyrus kit with a nice rack from HiFiRacks.co.uk:

Clicky

A

Anonymous

Nice 1, just one other quick question. What do you think the x-dem stuff boxed as new??. I'm thinking get the speakers as new but the amps, cd, psx as demo. I could then really get the kit up front as there are deals out there!

A

Anonymous

xdem stuff is fine, I had an xdem Kandy CDP and it served me well. I would strongly advise auditioning the kit before outlaying that kind of cash. Of course, auditions are all part of the service that you don't get with an online shopping basket.

A

Anonymous

I will demo and probably choose something different but have always fancied the cyrus set up and have been saving for years:

I have been looking tonight at everything and may go down this route, can someone explain if I would not get the benefit from the cd player as the pre-amp is not up to it, can anyone think of a better balance?

2 psxrs for pre-amp and cd

prevs2 pre amp

x power (2)

cdxtse/dacx

spendor a6

cyrus hark

van den hul orchid interconnects

chord oddessey 2 cable

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
stew31:
I will demo and probably choose something different but have always fancied the cyrus set up and have been saving for years:

I have been looking tonight at everything and may go down this route, can someone explain if I would not get the benefit from the cd player as the pre-amp is not up to it, can anyone think of a better balance?

2 psxrs for pre-amp and cd

prevs2 pre amp

x power (2)

cdxtse/dacx

spendor a6

cyrus hark

van den hul orchid interconnects

chord oddessey 2 cable

I'm just not a fan of Cyrus stuff and having loads of small boxes - and I'm sure there is better out there. However, as you have been away from the scene for a while, it would be interesting to hear your views on today's offerings. I still think the 840E, W and C kit will take some beating in it's price range. Also, if you did like the GS speakers, Arcam matches great with Monitor Audio.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice again.

I have been looking at the spendors and dont think they look much for the money. Can you tell me what kit goes with Sonus Fabers as I love the look, detail and design of these?

Some time ago I looked at Arcam but I am not after the warm smooth sound they offer, I like the kit to be attacking? - Is Naim the label to go for, are there others?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
stew31:
Thanks for the advice again.

I have been looking at the spendors and dont think they look much for the money. Can you tell me what kit goes with Sonus Fabers as I love the look, detail and design of these?

Some time ago I looked at Arcam but I am not after the warm smooth sound they offer, I like the kit to be attacking? - Is Naim the label to go for, are there others?

I've never listened to Naim to be honest. When you say attack, I imagine you mean in your face and powerful. Normally when people want this sort of sound in the price range you mention, Roksan and CA 840 get mentioned. I used to have the Creek Evo (which is being replaced by a newer version), that had plenty of get up and go and power so I imagine further up the Creek ladder, the same would apply.

A

Anonymous

Why not look at Leema if you're going to end up down a 'hundred box Cyrus' route. Simple bang for buck.

If the Spendors don't look nice enough for you then why not go for the SA1s in Zebrano with a decent sub.

Sc00bied00

Sep 3, 2007
Visit site
I pass regularily a local dealer with a pair of SA1's in the window, to make it worse it's at a set of traffic lights, if I could stop drooling I might be able to utter some choice words....

A

Anonymous

You would do yourself a disservice with that sort of money not to at least audition a Naim set up. I used to own a Naim set up but it was more around the £3000 mark.

Please at least have a listen.

Since selling my Naim I have gone with Exposure kit, they do some nice high end stuff you could have a look at.

No one has mentioned Linn either.

Iots of dealers who stock Linn also stock Naim - I would give them a listen, endless upgrade potential and good after sales service and extremely well made stuff.

A

Anonymous

By the way in the last 10 years everyone has decided CDs are rubbish and gone back to vinyl. If you dont want vinyl think about a squeezebox and a high-end DAC for £1000 plus. If I had £5000 now I wouldn't be spending it on a CD player that will be obsolete in 10 years time.

A

Anonymous

stew31:

Thanks for the advice again.I have been looking at the spendors and dont think they look much for the money. Can you tell me what kit goes with Sonus Fabers as I love the look, detail and design of these?

Sonus Fabers are excellent speakers. Naim equipment goes well with them - if you do a search on the Naim forum, you'll find plenty of recommendations for SF with Naim gear.

I've also heard them with Densen amplifiers, and with Unison Research. My preference would be the Unison Research out of those two, but I'm not big on an attacking sound. Anyway, judging by what you've said, try them first with the Naim XS or Supernait.

A

Anonymous

Thanks to all who have made suggestions. When I get chance I am going to demo:

Naim & Union Research with Sonus
Cyrus with Spendor
Arcam with Monitor Audio

and others, it seems that I need to have a days demoing different stuff at different dealers.

I'll let you know how I get on in due course.

Cheers
Stew.

TRENDING THREADS