B&W Zeppelin with Apple Airport Express/Laptop as the source

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
With a few things changing recently (car/job/hi-fi system etc...) I fancy something different that will also act a little investment...

I'm new to the iPod/Apple iTunes thingy-me-jig but it's coming up to my 30th birthday in August and I fancy treating myself to a Zeppelin.

To be honest I don't want to go for an iPod as I have no need for one and the same with an iPhone; I already have 2 mobiles (one for work and my personal one) and both are good phones.

What I would like to know is that if I bought a Zeppelin; can I use it with my laptop as the source via Apple Airport Express without having a wireless network in the house (my laptop is connected to the modem via the standard cable)?

Also; if I do use the laptop as a source with the Airport express; is it work getting a DAC to go between the source and the Zeppelin (i.e. a Beresford or the C/A DAC)?

Thanks

John Duncan

Hm. Depends on whether, despite you saying that you use your laptop wired, it's wireless-enabled? You don't need a router as a wireless laptop can connect to an Airport Express directly, but that's the nub of it - if your laptop doesn't have a wireless card built in you'll need to get one (they're not dear- you can get a 'g' card for less than a tenner, an 'n' one for double that, provided you have a PCMCIA slot).

I don't think it's worth getting a DAC though, no.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Hi John

Thanks for that; yes my laptop is wireless enabled; I switched off the wi-fi when I 1st got it as as i said above; its connected via the hardline.

My laptop is an ACER Aspire 5920

John Duncan

Right - I would say just turn it on and you can create a wireless network with an airport express, but on reflection you may find that enabling your ethernet port disables your wireless, and vice versa - always used to for me on windows (not so on Mac). So you might end up having to get a wireless router anyway....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts