B&W Tweeter Question - Life Expectancy

wj731

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Bit of a weird question, eh?

The only reason I ask is when I had to replace a dented tweeter in my B&W 685 surround set-up, I noticed on the inner nautilus style tube that goes inside there's a future date on it. (September 2015, I think).

Now as the B&W tweeter uses some internal dampening system, I wondered if this particular part has a life expectancy that might be significantly shorter than the standard/traditional tweeter?

TIA

Jonathan.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
wj731 said:
Bit of a weird question, eh? The only reason I ask is when I had to replace a dented tweeter in my B&W 685 surround set-up, I noticed on the inner nautilus style tube that goes inside there's a future date on it. (September 2015, I think). Now as the B&W tweeter uses some internal dampening system, I wondered if this particular part has a life expectancy that might be significantly shorter than the standard/traditional tweeter? TIA Jonathan.
My speakers have a sort of tube loading arrangement as well, I actually think they are stronger than conventional tweeters, mine were bashed but I pulled them out and do not notice a change in sound quality. Hope this helps.

wj731

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi Shafesk,

Thanks for your reply but due to replacing the tweeter (as a result of the dent - it's alluminium, so creased) I discovered the date on the tubing.

The B&W's have a "sponge" material which I think absorbs "bad sound" so wondered if this component degrades hence the date sticker (09/2015) in terms it's life expectancy and consequently needs replacing close to the date. Little bit like oil in a car. :)

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
wj731 said:
Hi Shafesk,

Thanks for your reply but due to replacing the tweeter (as a result of the dent - it's alluminium, so creased) I discovered the date on the tubing.

The B&W's have a "sponge" material which I think absorbs "bad sound" so wondered if this component degrades hence the date sticker (09/2015) in terms it's life expectancy and consequently needs replacing close to the date. Little bit like oil in a car. :)
Any chance your tweeters were manufactured from the future and thats the date of manufacture? I highly doubt your speakers would expire in 3 years, sounds a bit off.....I think you should send BnW an email just to put your mind at ease, but I strongly think its not built to have such a short life.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

My tweeters in my B&W speakers have lasted around 25 years (B&W 330i & 110i) - mine has a date when they were made on the back of the tweeters. I would contact B&W.

Cheers

Steve.

KiwiMoto

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Gee I've replaced tweeters in my Band W PM1's and 685's and they only date stamp I saw was th e manufacture date!Nice mushrooms? ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts