B&W - The ultimate top 10 Blu-Ray guide for your home theatre.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I have to say I find it a bit odd they would place Star Wars on the top spot. There is certainly better referencematerial on that list that would fit the top spot. I found the soundmixes surprisingly uneven on this release and not as engrossing as I first hoped. They are certainly not bad, not in anyway, but not up to the standard of several other mixes I've heard (older and newer ones). For me it was actually a bit of a let-down. Just my opinion though.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
I have to disagree about Star Wars i'm afraid as the sound on it is simply outstanding and is basically what B&W are alluding to, ok so the picture doesn't quite get to the same high standards and by the standards of todays newest releases is a touch soft but the sound is certainly reference material with the right kit.

The surprise for me was one of the two discs i don't already own in that list, Super 8 (the other being Talking Heads), i have yet to see the movie personally so it came as quite a surprise to see it so highly rated on that list. Perhaps as a result i will now buy a copy of the bluray but i remain sceptical despite enjoying most of JJ Abrams output in the last few years (the Star Trek reboot being a particular highlight).

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
Agree with Star Wars re: sound. The Lord of the Rings extended cut should also be up there for both picture & sound. I'll wait for Super 8's price to come down before buying one.

+1 for Lord of the Rings. A great example of excellent picture and sound quality and it seems to be bit of an oversight in my opinion, think i will wait for Super 8 to come down too as it's not an essential disc for me just curious if the sound is as good as B&W allude to.

A few more contenders for that list: The Dark Knight, Avatar, Pulp Fiction, Toy Story 3.

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I'd put Tron Legacy in as a contender for Bass reference. The Daft Punk soundtrack alone is worth cranking it up for. But the scene where the recognizer takes off sounding like a shuttle launch...makes my windows rattle every time!

RickyDeg said:
I have to say I find it a bit odd they would place Star Wars on the top spot. There is certainly better referencematerial on that list that would fit the top spot. I found the soundmixes surprisingly uneven on this release and not as engrossing as I first hoped. They are certainly not bad, not in anyway, but not up to the standard of several other mixes I've heard (older and newer ones). For me it was actually a bit of a let-down. Just my opinion though.

Hi RickyDeg

Spot on :) There are better all round soundtracks then Star Wars away from that list too. I wonder if Skywalker Sound used 800 Series speakers for the remix ;)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
RickyDeg said:

Hi RickyDeg

Spot on :) There are better all round soundtracks then Star Wars away from that list too. I wonder if Skywalker Sound used 800 Series speakers for the remix ;)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

HA!
smiley-tongue-out.gif
Excellent point! I kinda had a similar thought myself!

Well, it would explain this I guess... lol

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I'm surprised there's no animated movies in that top ten, something like Ratatouille or Monsters Inc.

Amen to that! I myself think 'How To Train Your Dragon' is top flight reference material in every aspect. It beats several of those other flicks on their list, no question.

Soundmixers of animated films often tend to be even more creative than others. Obviously they have to create every single element from cratch.

TnA200

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Personally I was quite impressed with The Dark Knight. The build up and bass and overall scale of the sound was fantastic. Chris Nolan knows how to ensure a top delivery not just in the story and visuals, but the sound department too.

I can't quite recall why, but I remember I was dissapointed with The Empire Strikes Back as far as sound was concerned. Some laser shots never made a sound, some explosions souned like kids crackers! It was too hit and miss. I'll have to check out the newer trilogy to see if it fares better.

Talking of animated movies the whirling sewer water scene was always a favourite of mine from Ratatouille. The kids loved how the water swirled around them!

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I`d try RANGO... Both picture and sound - brilliant. And Johnny Depp - spot on - as always ... By the way in a process of watching X-MAN ( Quadrology ) . Just watched the 3rd ( The Last Stand ) tonight . I thought the sound was amazing . There are breathtaking moments , sound-wise, all along ...but the best is at the very end . I am lucky man that my downstairs neighbors are so tolerating :)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Sliced Bread said:
Oldboy said:
Sliced Bread said:
Am I the only one who doesn't rate the Inception sound?

What's wrong with it? Sounds good to me.
Dunno, probably just over hyped. Everyone talks about the amazing bass, but it just doesn't seem that impressive to me. To me it's quite average.

All i can say is that i was very impressed with the overall mix, for example, the scene where she first realises she is dreaming in paris and everything just stops dead then unravels as she realises what is happening is a great test scene. Ditto with the part when the city starts folding in on itself, simply stunning audio on my system although it does demand a good dose of volume for full effect.

The bass is good on Inception as there are many moments of atmosphere but for me it's not a stunning bassy soundtrack although i can see why people may think that. The Dark Knight is a far better test of bass as there are more differing levels present in that soundtrack, plenty of big bang moments plus some excellent low level atmosphere moments.

As for the animated movie shouts i would have to add Wall E to that list, a simply brilliant soundtrack and one that if it wasn't so damm good the movie simply wouldn't work...there is no speach for at least half of the movie yet you are sucked in by the soundtrack alone, for me it's a staggering acheivement plus the picture quality is superb.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts