B&W PV1D

Hoodedcrow

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking for some advice.

I'm fairly happy with my setup & really feel no real need to add a sub at this moment in time but someone has offered me one of those B&W PV1D subs so cheap I should think about buying it. Also It would need to integrate well with music but also give a bit more life to movies to be worthwhile considering, does anyone have one of these subs or have a view on them ?.

My current system is some ADM40 speakers with no AV equipment, just an optical cable out of the TV into the speakers.

I've been muling over the idea of buying an Oppo 105 to allow me to have a home cinema setup with only one box which plays DVD/BR and controls 5 active speakers but I haven't got around to a demo, not that I have the ready funds atm antway.

D

Deleted member 2457

I think they are wonderful! Not sure you need to spend £1000 on the Oppo though, can't the Marantz do what that can at £629?

alienmango

May 29, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
alienmango said:

How is anybody (normal) supposed to tell from that gibberish?

Incidentally from the age of it, that review seems to be for the PV1, not the PV1D.

Yes it is the PV1 not the PV1D, the new one is going to be a bit better. But just look at the haromic distortion of the damn thing. It's incredible (not in a good way). It looks like it will be ok for low level listening to music as long as there is no content below 50hz.

For movies it will be awful! 30% of the sound at 30hz is distortion at 95dB. Same test: BK XlS 300:100dB at 30 hz gives less than 5% distortion http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/8160-bk-xls300-page-ranking.html

BEARDY WEIRDOS UNITE

bigmacd

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
hiya , i own a pv1d, and i have to say i cant fault it, brilliant al round in my own opinion, both musically and for film, i have had previous experience of the pv1, which to be fair was an easier set up, the new one however has a touch screen which is hit and miss, but dont let that detract from its performance, hope that helps in some way.

alienmango

May 29, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
alienmango said:
For movies it will be awful! 30% of the sound at 30hz is distortion at 95dB.

How many people actually listen at 95dB though?

Oh and true Beardy Weirdo wouldn't be seen dead listening to a sub-woofer or AV system of any type.

It's fine at low volumes and high frequencies. Very good infact. But for home cinema bass below 40hz at anything over 90db will be a complete mess.

As the OP has stated it will be used for home cinema and this is the point of buying it, it seems to me to be a poor choice. For music that does not have content below 40 hz it will be great at low - medium volumes. It will integrate well.

But for films....you'd be better off buying a large dog, so long as it woofs randomly at the loud bits it will hit deeper and louder....and with less distortion.

D

Deleted member 2457

Here is the Marantz at £549 now:

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/marantz_ud7007.shtml?gcpc&gclid=CJe9v96Yq7sCFW_MtAod-AgAZg

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Unless I've missed something in the specs. The Marantz doesn't have the 7.1 pre/processor of the Oppo.

Might the 103 suit ?

im not sure a sub would add a massive amount to music. I haven't bothered with a sub with my 40s. But unless the PV1D was an insane bargain I'd look elsewhere. The AVI sub is good value, but I also like BK.

gel said:
I think they are wonderful! Not sure you need to spend £1000 on the Oppo though, can't the Marantz do what that can at £629?

The OP wants the Oppo for this reason, which the Marantz cannot do:

Hoodedcrow said:
I've been muling over the idea of buying an Oppo 105 to allow me to have a home cinema setup with only one box which plays DVD/BR and controls 5 active speakers but I haven't got around to a demo, not that I have the ready funds atm antway.

I would agree that Oppo 103 can do the same thing for a lot less.

D

Deleted member 2457

Here is the spec of the Marantz:

http://www.marantz.co.uk/uk/products/pages/productdetails.aspx?catid=networkproducts&subcatid=blurayplayer&productid=ud7007

Spec for the Oppo 103:

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/ecommerce/product/BDP-103EU.aspx

Spec for the Oppo 105 here:

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/ecommerce/product/oppo-bdp-105eu.aspx

I can't see the difference?

Unlike the Marantz, Oppo has direct digital inputs, multichannel analog outs, a headphone amp built in and digital volume control so you can run the Oppo as a preamp.

The OP wants to connect it to active speakers, and intends to use Oppo's digital volume control.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Unlike the Marantz, Oppo has direct digital inputs, multichannel analog outs, a headphone amp built in and digital volume control so you can run the Oppo as a preamp.

The OP wants to connect it to active speakers, and intends to use Oppo's digital volume control.

:cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts